We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where in Camargue - by train, bus ?

Which Nimes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bolton , England
Level Contributor
302 posts
253 reviews
Save Topic
Where in Camargue - by train, bus ?

Similar to the earlier post - we will be in Nimes for 6 days in September and would like to see the Camargue, in particular the flamingos, bulls and horses.

We won't be hiring a car so wondered what options we had - can we take a bus or train to somewhere on the outskirts and then take a trip from there ? Where would be the best place to aim for and is it possible to walk / cycle or would it be a boat trip ?

Thanking you all in advance

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where in Camargue - by train, bus ?

Try taking the train to Arles and taking one of these excursions:

http://www.safari-4x4-gallon.camargue.fr/

http://www.camargue-decouverte.com/

http://www.manade-safari.com/

Bolton , England
Level Contributor
302 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where in Camargue - by train, bus ?

Hi Sarasota,

Thanks for your help.I know you can "Google" some of these things yourself but it's great to have all the bits filled in.Cheers

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where in Camargue - by train, bus ?

You can also train Nimes Aigues Mortes and take boat trips into the Camargue.

Peter

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where in Camargue - by train, bus ?

Hello, yes a train to Aigues Mortes will leave you two minutes walk from the tourist boats into the camargue. Both La Pescalune and Les Isles de Stel take several trips daily to see wildlife etc and both stop at a Manade to see the herding of the Camargue Bulls. The trips go around 10am and around 2 pm.

You can also hire bikes from Aigues Mortes and cycle 4 km towards Le Grau du Roi , by the canal and see bulls and flamingo for yourself. B

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,267 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where in Camargue - by train, bus ?

I have been twice and seen about 6 flamingoes in all. I was sadly disappointed. But I loved all the rest of it. Don't forget riding to get around if you ride at all. The rides over the flats seem very popular.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where in Camargue - by train, bus ?

<<I have been twice and seen about 6 flamingoes in all.>>

Where in Camargue did you go lynnb48? There are flamingos everywhere as long as you stay near the marshes. Flamingos are very shy birds and do not like to be near humans but there are hundreds of them at any given time in the marshes between le Grau du Roi and Aigues Mortes.

If you are looking overhead you can see them flying, long tubes with wings, but you they are not found on the inland areas of the Camargue.

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,391 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where in Camargue - by train, bus ?

We've visited the Camargue many times and always seen flamingos. Lovely creatures!

For anyone landing or taking off from Montpellier, there are usually plenty to be seen in the lagoon by the main road. We always make sure visitors see those, in case a visit to the Camargue doesn't take place.

Bolton , England
Level Contributor
302 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where in Camargue - by train, bus ?

Great help and great discussion ! We do like to hire bikes if it's safe to ride on all our breaks if possible so this seems a great option.

We stayed in Toulouse last year and visited Carcasonne and Montpellier by train - not as well researched on TA last year so didn't realise how far it was however i did think i'd seen flamigos from the train but the girlfriend wasn't having it.Looking forward to another great trip to France - thanks for everyone's help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,267 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where in Camargue - by train, bus ?

We drove all around the marshes near Aigues Mportes and near Sts Maries de la Mer, got up on the viewing platforms above the marshes, drove down tiny lanes to the edges etc and saw a few birds wading in the distance. We even asked people but they just directed us to the private bird sanctuary. Sigh...

10. Re: Where in Camargue - by train, bus ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2011, 08:17