We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog Friendly Beach

Which Narbonne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Dog Friendly Beach

Does anyone know of any dog friendly beaches near Narbonne? Will be visiting with my dog in a few weeks. Thanks

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,149 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog Friendly Beach

The rule is that during the tourist season dogs are not allowed on supervised beaches (Gruissan and Narbonne Plage for instance)

They are tolerated elsewhere but must be kept on a leash. When i doubt, ask the tourist office..

Edited: 02 June 2013, 22:44
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog Friendly Beach

Almost every beach in France that is supervised (lifeguard) is supposed to be dog free from about 8 or 9 in the morning until at least 8 in the evening during the Summer months.

There are some beaches in the Narbonne area that allow dogs on a lead during the day and you can find them at – www.dogstory.net/plage_de_france.htm

You can be fined for taking your dog on the beach during the restricted hours - but that doesn't stop the locals walking their dogs whatever the time of day.

The far reaches of the beaches away from the madding crowd, and it will be crowded in June, are where you could head to find less restrictive areas and possible walk the dog away from prying eyes.

We have been to France many times with our dog and have never failed to find somewhere for him to run off the lead on coastal or rural areas.

Although it's further north than where you intend going we were at St-Jean-de-Monts last year and walked him regularly off the lead in the extensive Pine woods a few minutes from the town centre.

Cliff top walks and rural paths used by many of the locals are usually easy to find and I've no doubt you'll easily find somewhere that allows the dog to be let free and exercise.

Wherever you decide to go in France with your dog would you please get in touch with me to let me know which French Vet you use with regard to the Pet Passport scheme on your way back to the UK.

I have compiled a Google Map of recommended Vets throughout France, and Europe, and any help enlarging the amount of Vets on the map could be of assistance to the many dog owners who travel abroad.

http://goo.gl/maps/qyxi6

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,199 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog Friendly Beach

According to some locals I know, you are allowed to take your dog here

http://goo.gl/maps/16Ud4

It is approximately halfway between Narbonne Plage and Gruissan Les Ayguades.

In addition to La Vielle Nouvelle, the rough cycle path and the area between the path and the lagoon between Les Ayguades and Mateille should be reasonably dog friendly.

http://goo.gl/maps/umlQi

I use Dr. Eyme in Gruissan when I need a vet.

www.pagesjaunes.fr/pros/50175037…

Norwich, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog Friendly Beach

Thank you so much for your helpful responses! We stay in a village near Lodeve (have been to the same place for the last couple of years) and use a vet there who is lovely. Usually we take our dog to a nearby lake, which she loves, but we fancied a trip to the coast last year and ended up spending close to an hour driving along the coast to try a part of the beach she could go on (with no luck) which we have never had when we've visited other parts of France! Will look at the links you have provided and your suggestions - thank you again for taking the time to reply!

Edited: 05 June 2013, 16:06
5. Re: Dog Friendly Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 05:17