We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

our holiday 2009

west midlands
1 post
Save Topic
our holiday 2009

Hi we are camping with thomson in august and we are all looking forward to it but am a little nervous about the long journey down. We are staying half way downish at Clermont Ferrand . Any body with any advise for the journey down? We have two boys 15 and 11 who are pretty good travellers.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: our holiday 2009

Hello,

I'm not sure what advice you need so I'll just offer some of our experiences! The French motorway system is good and we've always found the services to be fine, and cheaper than the British ones. We try and stop at ones with cafes rather than the picnic areas as the toilets are better!They can get very busy during the summer months and parking can be a bit fraught occasionally. I usually invest in a map of the whole of France for an overview of the journey and have a ring bound one for detail. I've also found it useful to go on 'Via Michelin' and print off a route there and back. I have to say that if we've got time we often go along the N and D roads jut because we find motorway driving a bit boring-everyone is different though. In the Sunday Times last week there was an artice in the Travel section on the best routes south, might be online or I have a copy which I'd be happy to e-mail to you.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
874 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: our holiday 2009

Hello Kathleen

Next week we are driving from Brussels to Beziers. We are aiming to take the N and D roads as you suggest.

From your experience, what do you think of the following route?

Day 1 Brussels – Namur – Dinant – Charleville-Meziers – Rheims – Chalons – Troyes (where we have an overnight stop)

Day 2 Troyes - Auxerre – Cosne-Cours-s-Loire – Bourges – Chateauroux – Gueret (where we have an overnight stop)

Day 3 Gueret – Tulle – Aurillac – Rodez – Lacaune – St Pons – Beziers

Are there any difficult stretches? Will some of the roads be a bit slow?

Many thanks

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: our holiday 2009

Hello Nomadic Traveller,

please forgive me for not answering sooner. I presume you've been to France and seen how your route was by now? I would like to say that I am no expert and many people would disagree with me with regards to my choice of roads,

but I hope you found it ok-you were following the same route as us as far as Troyes anyway.

Best wishes

KB

4. Re: our holiday 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Perpignan