We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Perpignan in August--is it crazy?

Sudbury, MA
Level Contributor
50 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Perpignan in August--is it crazy?

My family is planning on spending from August 11-24 in Perpignan. Will it be incredibly crowded? Are we crazy to go then? It's the only time we have, but I don't want it to be ridiculously overcrowded and stressful. Is it less crowded than the Riviera, Biarritz, and the like?

Cathedrale St-Jean
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Castillet
Historic Sites, Lookouts, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Hotel Pams
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites
Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Perpignan in August--is it crazy?

Overcrowded and stressful? Definitely not as many people will be on holiday and/or at the beach. The only problem I can see is that it will probably be very hot in town. A place near the sea or in the countryside would be more pleasant - though beaches will be crowded.

It cannot be compared to the Riviera.

Sudbury, MA
Level Contributor
50 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Perpignan in August--is it crazy?

Ah, thanks for the advice. It doesn't sound as though it will be packed with people, except for maybe the beaches. If we stay in town, then we should make sure our apartment has air conditioning. Do you have any suggestions about which communities in the countryside or sea?

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Perpignan in August--is it crazy?

Will you have a car or will you be relying on public transportation?

Sudbury, MA
Level Contributor
50 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Perpignan in August--is it crazy?

I think we will be doing both; we will be taking a class in the center of Perpignan on weekdays, so we would probably use public transportation for that (although my husband could drive us since he is not taking the class). But to travel to places such as Andorra, Barcelona, Carcassonne, Albi, and the Pont du Gard, etc.., it sounds as though it is faster to take a car than to take a train. I know that parking at Carcassonne is ridiculous, though. What's your recommendation?

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Perpignan in August--is it crazy?

If you are taking classes in Perpignan it makes sense to stay in the city or very close. You could have a look at Canet-en Roussillon (6 miles) which has a nice beach and will be cooler in the evening (no charm though). Or Thuir (countryside) and Cabestany (residential).

The other places you mention are quite a distance from Perpignan - except Carcassonne -. As far as parking is concerned, the trick is to get up early and to get there before the crowds :-))

However parking in Barcelona is horrendous. Keave the car at the airport and take the train/bus into the city

Bear in mind that on and around August 15 there will be lots of festivals going on which attract large crowds .(the famous Collioure fireworks for instance).

Edited: 12 February 2013, 20:04
Sudbury, MA
Level Contributor
50 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Perpignan in August--is it crazy?

Thanks again for the tips.

I have found a few places that are not in the city center that look very country-like--they're mases and the like with pools, which I think will suit us better.

I think the other places are reachable in a day trip, though, right? Are Andorra and the Pont du Gard that far away? So if we went to Barcelona on August 16, we should drive, but leave our car at the airport?

Do you think it will be too crowded in Collioure to drive there as well?

Thanks again!

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Perpignan in August--is it crazy?

Yes, the other places are reachable in a day trip - might be a tiring day though.:-)

I do not advise you to get anywhere near Collioure by car on August 14/15 and especially the night of the fireworks. The road will be closed anyway. There will be special trains from Perpignan.if you want to go. August 15 is a national holiday in France and the festival in Collioure lasts 4 days.

Re Barcelona : it is a good 2 hour drive from Perpignan, more if there is a lot of traffic and parking is very difficult (and expensive) in the city. So yes, I advise you to leave your car somewhere and take public transportation into the town. The airport is easily reachable from the highway which I presume you'll be taking. This is why I suggested it.

Andorra is also a good 2/3 hour drive and will be crowded on August 15. It is the last place I'd want to go on this day.

Erskine, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Perpignan in August--is it crazy?

For Barcelona leave the car at Figures & take the train Andora in the summer is not really worth the drive,you only get best out of Andora when the snow,s there.Plenty of pretty little villages & town,s within an hour,s drive of Perpignan

Wales
Level Contributor
124 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Perpignan in August--is it crazy?

But when you have a car at your disposal do head up into the hills to Ceret. It is a delightful small town with an amazing Museum of Modern Art. It was established by the donations of some of the most famous painters of the 20th C who lived and worked there .It is a picturesque little town and a cool escape from the heat of the coast in August.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Perpignan in August--is it crazy?

If you want to take in some scenery without the hassle of the car, take the train up to Latour de Carol. Its a regular train as far as Villefranche de Conflent and then the little yellow train up the mountains.

Get answers to your questions about Perpignan