We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire with Visa Debit Card!?

Wexford, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Car Hire with Visa Debit Card!?

Hi I have booked car hire before at Girona Airport with a Visa Debit Card but can't seem to get anyone to do it at Perpignan.......which is a shame as Aer lingus have cheap flights there at the moment.

I plan to get a gite in that region.

Any Advice welcome..

Richie

Mentioned in this post
Girona
Girona
Province of Girona, Spain
Perpignan
Perpignan
Pyrenees-Orientales, France
40 replies to this topic
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Car Hire with Visa Debit Card!?

Which car rental was this?!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,003 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car Hire with Visa Debit Card!?

Full insurance/excess cover is normally optional. It is also possible to have a separate insurance covering the excess.

Cambridge, United...
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Car Hire with Visa Debit Card!?

Avis will accept a debit card

Dundalk, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Car Hire with Visa Debit Card!?

I have been trying all these car rental companies and they seem to be adamant that its a credit card or nothing. Please can anyone tell me if any other rental companies will rent to me with a debit card?

Basel, Switzerland
3 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Car Hire with Visa Debit Card!?

I can't find a company that stipulates openly that they accept debit card only. I have your same problem.

16. Re: Car Hire with Visa Debit Card!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 21:08

17. Re: Car Hire with Visa Debit Card!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 21:08

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Car Hire with Visa Debit Card!?

We have never had a problem renting from AutoEurope with a Visa debit card.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,743 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Car Hire with Visa Debit Card!?

A rental car company accepts a certain amount of risk accepting a debit card rather than a credit card. I would be very cautious about renting with a debit card as you may be required to pay for much higher amounts of insurance coverage than you would otherwise need.

Autoeuope will indeed accept payment with a debit card but their vouchers state that the rental car company may not accept one and the you may need to present a credit card at pickup.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,867 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Car Hire with Visa Debit Card!?

The voucher that I received from AutoEurope Australia earlier this year clearly stated that the rental company (Avis USA) would require a credit card imprint and a debit card would not be accepted.

Reply to: Car Hire with Visa Debit Card!?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted