We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a laptop in France

Which Perpignan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Genis des...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a laptop in France

I am an American living in France. (near Perpignan). My American laptop just died, and I am looking to buy another. Does anyone know if American laptops are available in France? I am mainly concerned about getting a laptop with the American/QWERTY keyboard that I am familiar with. I know I can convert a AZERTY keyboard to QWERTY via settings, and I also know that I could probably learn to adjust to the French keyboard, but what I really & truly want in my heart of hearts is a laptop that is already in my comfort zone. (Hope I am not sounding too old & stodgy & stuck in my ways.) Any advice?

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a laptop in France

You can specify the keyboards with dell , my husband always gets a US qwerty keyboard with his laptops

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,856 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a laptop in France

easiest and cheapest way to do it is to buy from the UK - Yes, it will have a slightly different (but still a qwerty) keyboard. You will, however, save a lot of money. Check out somewhere like Morgans in the UK, then compare with Darty. You will soon see what I mean

Saint Genis des...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a laptop in France

Thank you ! To be clear, your husband has bought a dell computer w/ Qwerty in France? Do you know where he got it? Thanks for your help. I've always gotten my laptops in the US, but do not plan to be there any time soon. Merci!

Saint Genis des...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a laptop in France

Thanks, Wizard. I will check that out. Sorry to say, I am unfamiliar w. shopping in the UK. I looked at Amazon.co.uk today, but didn't see much. Is Morgans a electronics store? I wonder if they have a website that will ship to France? I'll look. I appreciate your advice.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a laptop in France

Yes, we live in France and husband has had several laptops direct from dell france with an american keyboard over the years. Which is slightly odd since we are scottish, but he has always preferred a US qwerty over a UK qwerty.

I dont currently have a laptop, but when i did, I got a dell with a Uk qwerty, though i woudl have been happy with french azerty or italian qwerty as well.

Saint Genis des...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying a laptop in France

If you would have been happy with a UK qwerty or French azerty, then you are far more flexible than I am! I am set in my ways, and determined to find a US qwerty. :) Thanks for your help. I will definitely look into Dell. You've given me hope!

Saint-Chinian...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a laptop in France

Dell France would be my recommendation too! I used to buy my computers from Dell UK, but they stopped shipping to France a little while back, which created a bit of a problem :-). If you call Dell you should be able to get to talk to someone about exactly what you require, they are usually pretty good. You could probably get a US power pack too if you ever need it.

Saint Genis des...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying a laptop in France

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will definitely try Dell.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,856 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying a laptop in France

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying a laptop in France

Any French computer will do. Your options are:

1) Convert to QWERTY and buy QWERTY stickers to cover your French keys: 3 €

2) Convert to QWERTY and change the keys (you can probably use those from your laptop that just died)

3) Take the laptop to a computer store and ask them to replace the keyboard

Edited: 04 February 2014, 21:07
Get answers to your questions about Perpignan