We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A long adventure

Which Limoges hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
A long adventure

I am planning to fly into Paris, take a train from Paris to Limoges with a possible stop to Bordeaux and then onto Bilbao Spain into Madrid. I can get from Pairs to Limoges with ease but finding train schedules for the rest of the journey is turning into a challenge.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,856 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A long adventure

You can get French train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" in the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

For Spanish trains, see www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A long adventure

Crossing the border is where it gets a bit tricky. You can take the TGV to Hendaye in France. In Hendaye, you walk across the parking lot to the Spanish Euskotren (local commuter train). This will take you to San Sebastian (Donostia, in Basque). From San Sebastian there is a bus to Bilbao.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A long adventure

Wonderful! Thank you for the advice!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A long adventure

There will be more details on the San Sebastian & Bilbao forums too.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A long adventure

Is there a reason for the stop in Limoges? Because the TGV from Paris to Bordeaux is a no-brainer, and then it's pretty easy on to Spain. Putting Limoges in the mix, which requires a TER train from Paris Austerlitz instead of a TGV, makes it much more complicated, though do-able.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A long adventure

From Limoges, there are trains via perigueux to Bordeaux - it s an attractive line.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A long adventure

The stop in Limoges is to photograph an abondoned town in the area. Oradour sur Glane is left in preserved reservation and I would like to spend the afternoon photographing it. I am also interested in seeing and photographing some of the other medevil towns that are in the area.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A long adventure

How are you going to get to Oradour-sur-Glane? I've been there several times, but always in a car and get the sense it's not exactly easily reachable by public transport.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,733 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A long adventure

To get to Oradour-sur-Glane by public transport means taking the train to Limoges and then either bus or taxi out to Oradour - a journey of about 15 miles

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A long adventure

I did think and plan ahead for this and will be renting a car. In additon to Oradour-sur-Glane there is the Chateau Belgnac that I would like to photograph as well. I will make a day of it while I am there.