We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hackenberg and Maginot Line

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
853 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Hackenberg and Maginot Line

Not exactly sure where to post this question. We're planning our fall trip to France, and will have a car. We were planning on spending four days in Alsace, (2 around Colmar, 2 in Strasbourg)then heading towards Reims prior to our return flight to the US. Short of changing our entire itinerary as of now, here's my question. We wanted to make a short detour to visit Hackenberg after leaving Strasbourg. However, that day would be a Monday, and it appears on their website, they only offer "guided tours" during October on Saturday and Sunday. Does anyone know if you can visit here without a guided tour, or if that would not be advised. We can skip it, cut Stromsburg as far as staying the night, and just stop for a day, or skip Hackenberg. Realizing it's our decision, I would be interested in others who have recently visited this and their opinion of the driving distances. I have looked at the mapping and it looks OK, but not if we have to go on a Sunday. Thanks in advance.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hackenberg and Maginot Line

I have been on the A4 autoroute between Reims and Metz (though not as far as Strasbourg) and it is IMO the most boring motorway in France, although it was relatively empty and fast. On the way back we just could not face this motorway again, so we used country roads, which were obviously very much slower but so much more pleasant.

So I advise you to avoid driving to Reims on the A4 autoroute if you can and have the time. Maybe you already know this excellent route planner:

www.viamichelin.com

It gives you a choice of routes (eg fastest, scenic,etc) with journey times that exclude stops and traffic delays, as well as providing other useful route information.

As regards Hackenberg, I have not been but my understanding is that the visits are on a little train with guides, so it is most unlikely that you will be allowed to tour on your own without a guide. You could of course email them (English should be fine) to double check.

Hope this helps a bit, at least by 'bumping' your post back to the front page for others to contribute further.

2. Re: Hackenberg and Maginot Line

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Lorraine