We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ouvrage Hackenberg info needed

US
Level Contributor
571 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ouvrage Hackenberg info needed

We are planning to visit the area later this month and are interested in visiting Ouvrage Hackenberg. I have looked at the website and it seems that it is open on Wed. and Sat. at 2pm. I am trying to confirm this so that I can plan our itinerary accordingly. I have e-mailed twice and have not received a reply. I just now tried to call (during what should be open hours) and only got a long recorded message.... in French, which I do not understand. I was not able to leave a message. Can anyone please confirm if Ouvrage Hackenberg will be open on Nov. 22 and at what time we might be able to tour? Also, if we cannot do an actual tour, is it possible to still walk around the site during non-open hours? Furthermore, if we can not work a visit to Ouvrage Hackenberg, is it still interesting to drive through the area and will you still be able to see some remains or sights of the Maginot Line? Thank you for any information provided.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ouvrage Hackenberg info needed

Tourist sites are notoriously poor at responding to emails - especially ones in a foreign language.

The website clearly states that from 12 November there are guided tours at 14:00 (2 o'clock in the afternoon) on Wednesdays and Saturdays only (thus including Saturday 22 November).

The website also states that they are CLOSED EXCEPTIONALLY on 1 November - i.e. today.

US
Level Contributor
571 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ouvrage Hackenberg info needed

Thank you. This is what I understood about the tour times. I also noticed they have a special event on the 22nd, so I was not certain the tour would operate as normal for that day. Also, I was trying to confirm that there would be an English tour at this time. Thank you again for your input.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ouvrage Hackenberg info needed

Sorry, I had meant to mention the special evening event which appears to be a 70th anniversary of the liberation of the immediate area. There is nothing to say that there won't be a 2pm tour that afternoon and the event appears to be in only one small part of the ouvrage. I have been to many attractions in France which have been in course of preparation for an event and arrangements have always been made for "ordinary" tourists to circumvent the stages, etc., there isn't the same Health & Safety mania in France as there is, for example, in the UK and visitors are assumed to be capable of stepping over cables.

I can't say whether the guide would be able to include English when describing the tour. The website appears to have an English language option but, in my experience, English visitors are fairly rare in this area and it is possible that, off season, the tour may only be available in French (and quite possibly German, since it tends to be the second language in that part of France). Nevertheless, in a way, the ouvrage is self-explanatory and a tour where you didn't understand a word of explanation would probably still be interesting.

4. Re: Ouvrage Hackenberg info needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2017, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Lorraine