We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midi-Pyrenees mid September for hiking : weather?

Southampton England...
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Midi-Pyrenees mid September for hiking : weather?

Having been somewhat summer-starved this year in what has been a terrible summer in southern England, and having had a disappointing two weeks in the Tirol (due to low cloud at 2000-2500m obscuring the peaks, though admittedly not excessive rain) due to the same low jetstream which has been affecting the weather adversely here, I'm looking to try and get some sun and some mountain-climbing in before the end of the summer.

I was considering the French side of the middle Pyrenees (Breche du Roland or Pyrenees National Park area) for a week (I have one week's leave Sep 17-21) but having already had one holiday this year, would probably only go if there's a good chance of decent weather.

I'm looking to actually climb some of the higher peaks on the border (those close to or above 3000m) so wondering if anyone has any comments on likely weather? I really want some proper settled weather (dry apart from the odd shower, no more than two seriously wet days likely during the week, and the mountains mostly free of mist apart from on the very top). I've had some advice on summitpost suggesting this is over-optimistic for early autumn - would people here agree?

I know weather is always unpredictable (here the final weekend of Feb was better than this weekend!) but would be good to get some general feelings on this.

Edited: 29 July 2012, 14:51
Saint-Beat, France
Level Contributor
45 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midi-Pyrenees mid September for hiking : weather?

It has been an odd year everywhere but usually the weather in the Pyrenees in September is like a good English summer in the day. Temperatures drop at night and if not very sunny also the higher you go (if you are thinking of walking on the high mountains).

It is usually fairly dry too in Autumn - Spring is much wetter.

But.........who knows!!

2. Re: Midi-Pyrenees mid September for hiking : weather?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2013, 10:18
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor