We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona to Cahors and back again

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona to Cahors and back again

Hi all

We are thinking of driving from Barcelona, through Andorra to Cahors, staying there for a couple of nights, and then from Cahors back down the east coast to Barcelona. We have a couple of queries:

1. Would it be reasonable to do each leg of the trip in a day?

2. Which places on the way (in each direction) would you recommend as a must see?

3. Which other small towns around Cahors would be good to visit at a leisurely pace?

Looking forward to your replies!

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,966 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona to Cahors and back again

1. No. This is a journey of around 500 km, taking at least 6 hours of actual driving (plus stops).

2,3. You need to get a guide book. My "must see" might be totally boring to you, especially as I know nothing about your interests.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona to Cahors and back again

"Would it be reasonable to do each leg of the trip in a day?"

It is doable but you'll spend a minimum of 7 hours behind the wheel and won't have time to stop for long on your way. See www.viamichelin.fr for a choice of itineraries and add 25% for rest stops, traffic, etc......

Driving from Cahors to Barcelona down the coast will take even longer.

France
Level Contributor
18 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona to Cahors and back again

From Cahors you must see St Cirq Lapopie, France's favorite of les plus beaux villages. It is a stunning hilltop village, good places to eat and lots of arty shops.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,958 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona to Cahors and back again

I would visit the Cathar Castles.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona to Cahors and back again

That's a really long haul. And how did you pick Cahors? Nice town, great wine, but not exactly a knock-out. Why not just go up the coast and enjoy Collioure, Port-Vendres, maybe a few inland spots?

Palamos, Spain
Level Contributor
37 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona to Cahors and back again

I agree with St Cirq. A trip from Barcelona to Cahors is ... quite odd ... and I will be doing exactly that soon, but I live around here. From Barcelona you can do a heap of similar things but MUCH closer. Watching highway verges flash by for 8 hours is .... meh!! What things?

Montserrat - fascinating scenery, geology and religious architecture; black madonna

Poblet - the largest functioning (medieval) monastery in the world.

Penedes or Somontano - vibrant modern wines - great value. Priorat also if you drive a wee bit further.

The Costa Brava coast - fabulous scenery - with Blanes, Tossa del Mar and Roses as my picks

Some of the greatest restaurants in the world; and some of the best value quality eateries also - check the Tripadvisor entries for Girona; Llagostera (Els Tinars); fabulous cheap menu del dia (lunch for <=€16 - wine included) such as La Gruta in L'Escala.

The Pyrenees with the Odessa national park/Monte Perdido as the crown jewel. Awesome scenery there and back - white waters; alpine flowers; chiming cow bells.

Treat yourself to a night or 2 in a Parador - http://www.parador.es/en/portal.do

Do a 5-7 day round-trip and take in all of those (7 days better)

Have fun, but pull back on the driving :-)

Pedro

Reply to: Barcelona to Cahors and back again
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cahors
Recent Conversations