We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lourdes on my own

sydney
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
lourdes on my own

Hi. planning on going to lourdes from paris (flying) on September 4th for one night. A few questions....

1. Just wanted to find out from those who have travelled to lourdes on their own as to how it was? Was it ok. My husband is not catholic and is not at all interested in coming.

2. cheapest transport from airport to the hotel.

3. which hotel? read the reviews of some hotels, wanted to hear from someone who has been there recently.

4. the baths - do you just wear normal clothes and get immersed in the bath....

5. is it best to just pay for meals with hotel or are there restaurants that are reasonable in price around.

all your help would be appreciated.

kirstin

Manila Philippines
Destination Expert
for Lourdes
Level Contributor
886 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lourdes on my own

1. First off, I would suggest that if at all possible you should try and stay longer than one night. You cannot hope to fully experience the true essence of Loudres in a few hours. As for you husband, Lourdes is not necessarily all about religon, although much of a prilgrims time could be taken up with the usual rites and processions. However what is perhaps just as important is the pervating spirit of contentment and humility anong the sick. A truly humbling experience for any ablebodied visitor, be they a believer or not.

2. There is only one form of transport from the airport to the town, and thats metered taxis. Prepare to pay around Euros 20+.

3. See my previous posting in the forum about the Hotel Continental which is just a few minutes walk to the sanctuary. hotelcontinentallourdes.com/UK/default.asp

4.You are required to undress completely before being offered a small 'wrap-around'. However there will be trained volunteers there to assist you and it's all treated very sensitively. The choice is yours whether you wish to be immersed completely or not.

5. I would suggest you book 'room only' since there are plenty of restaurants and cafes to choose from.

I will be there as a volunteer during your stay, so please come and say 'hello' to me at the Grotto during the morning. My name is Kevin.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lourdes on my own

Kevin, hello,

I have a question about the baths.....

I understand the water is only changed twice in twentyfour hours... I know that it may be a little 'not done' to question the hygiene of this as the water is considered 'holy'..... but their is a doubt about how safe this is when the people bathing are sick, and may have infectious skin problems..... not to mention those who are incontinent etc. ? Some doctors I have spoken to seem to have doubts about the hygiene and safety of ordinary public swimming pools even where the water is chlorinated - and it is easy to pick up fungal infections there too, when usually only 'healthy' people bathe there....so what about the water at the Lourdes grotto where I imagine most people would be 'sick' ? .

sydney
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lourdes on my own

Hi Kevin

I will make sure to find you when I get there. I see you are from the philippines. I am a filipina but have lived and grown up in australia.

I am also curious about the baths and the hygiene issue.

thanks

kirstin

Manila Philippines
Destination Expert
for Lourdes
Level Contributor
886 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lourdes on my own

All I can say with regard to the water in the baths is that many many thousands have gone before you, and as far as I am aware there is no record of anyone contracting an illness as a result of being immersed. Some say this is the miracle of Lourdes, however always remember the water is holy by virtue of the fact that it is blessed, but not miraculous. The fact that you dry as soon as you dress, is simply due to the fact that it is pure spring water. It's how the act of penance and humility affects you that counts, and the inner peace you may feel having bathed. I have witnessed many people overcome with emotion upon leaving the baths.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lourdes on my own

Thank you, Kevin. I notice you say 'you dry as soon as you dress' ... presumably one brings a towel ? or are towels supplied there ? Or do you put your clothes on again while you are wet ? I can imagine you'd dry quickly without a towel if it's a hot day - but what about in spring/autumn ?

Manila Philippines
Destination Expert
for Lourdes
Level Contributor
886 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lourdes on my own

You will dry naturally regardless of the temperature. No towels required or indeed permitted. You have to bear in mind that there will always be a long queue of people waiting for their bath also, so while you will not be rushed, neither will you be encouraged to linger.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lourdes on my own

Forgive me for asking so many questions.... is the water in the baths/grotto very cold ? Icy ?

Manila Philippines
Destination Expert
for Lourdes
Level Contributor
886 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lourdes on my own

Being spring water it will be cold, but you're only going for a quick dip not a swim!

I'm always happy to answer your queestions

Lourdes
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: lourdes on my own

The taxi cost exactly 23 - 25 euros at day time (monday to saturday from 07:00 to 19:00) and 30 - 32 euros at night time

I recommand you to book the taxi before arriving. It happens that travellers don't find any taxi at the terminal. Search on google : "taxi lourdes"

best regards

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lourdes on my own

Kevin, I have been told that people with 'heart' problems are not allowed to take the dip in the baths.... ?

Get answers to your questions about Lourdes
Recent Conversations