We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid to Pau? Bus, train, fly or combination?

Which Lourdes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
14 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid to Pau? Bus, train, fly or combination?

I am taking a trip this March to Madrid and need to get to Pau for a conference from the 11-15. I tried to look at flights (multi-destination option) but the fare was some ridiculous amount (1600.00). So, I decided to purchase a RT ticket LAX to MAD for basically 1/3 of the cost. I am not a stranger to traveling in Europe but I have never attempted to travel from Madrid to Pau and was wondering what people might recommend. Here are some of the options I've come up with. I'm trying to get a feel from people with more experience which of the group would be the best for me. Here are my options:

1. Fly from MAD to Santander on Ryan Air. Then take bus/train to Pau.

2. Fly from MAD to Toulouse on Ryan Air. Take train.

3. Take train from Madrid to Pau

4. Take bus from Madrid to Pau.

*Flying to Pau from Madrid on AirFrance is 600.00.

That's NOT an option. :)

I would greatly appreciate some guidance! Please keep in mind that my return to the States from Madrid is March 18th.

thank you!!

Bonnie

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid to Pau? Bus, train, fly or combination?

Of the options you give then you would be best served taking a plane to Toulouse then a slow train ride to Pau.

The train from Madrid will take a long time, 12 hours or so and involve a number of changes.

Tramore, Ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid to Pau? Bus, train, fly or combination?

I would also recommend flying to Toulouse. A few months ago we took a train from Barcelona to Lourdes. It was extremely long with many many changes so I would not recommend the train

3. Re: Madrid to Pau? Bus, train, fly or combination?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 01:16