We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to get from Barcelona to Lourdes?

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What is the best way to get from Barcelona to Lourdes?

WE are traveling with are daughter in December. We are trying to figure out the best way to travel from Barcelona to Lourdes. Is it train, car? Is it too snowy to travel through the Pyrenees in December? Any help would be appreciated.

Tarragona, Spain
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best way to get from Barcelona to Lourdes?

Two comments:

1) Train will probably be very very long. 10 or so hours with a number of changes is my guess.(But someone might tell me/you differently.)

2) Hire car is probably the simplest.

If you go north on the motorway out of Barcelona into France (numbered A2 as you leave Barcelona and A9 when you cross the border) and west on the A61 motorway, called "Entre deux mers", through Toulouse you will have few problems in December with snow I suggest (though you might be very unlucky and travel on a day when the elements are especially inclement but it is unlikely even then to close the motorway. If you are averagely lucky you will only see the white stuff on the mountains to your left as you drive.)

I reckon you will do it comfortably in about 6-7 hours but do check the driving time quotes on Google maps or similar.

Obviously it all depends on the weather that day. (The final 20 kms off the motorway from Tarbes to Lourdes might be a bit trickier than the motorway in bad weather but shouldn´t be excessively demanding, I reckon.)

Do note that these motorways are toll roads and the toll will cost very roughly the same as the petrol you burn. Non toll roads exist in parallel for this whole journey but you will, I suggest find them both much slower and much more demanding of your concentration as a driver.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,495 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best way to get from Barcelona to Lourdes?

Item 1 above is almost correct! For the record, the fastest train journey is exactly 8 hours leaving Barcelona Franca station at 0845 arriving in Lourdes at 1645. Change of train required in Narbonne and Toulouse with fairly immediate connections in both cases.

Later options take 10 hours or more , with 3 or 4 changes en route.

You won't really know about the weather until the day, but going the long way round using the highways (rather than the shortest route which takes you up and over the mountains) you will find the roads clear of any snow unless it is really bad.

Item 2 - check car hire terms and conditions as some companies levy extra charges for cross border travel. If it's a one-way journey there is usually a huge extra charge as they have send someone to repatriate your car.

Hope that helps.

Edited: 22 September 2010, 07:42
3. Re: What is the best way to get from Barcelona to Lourdes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2011, 05:30
Get answers to your questions about Lourdes
Recent Conversations