We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking round Rocamadour

Wareham, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Walking round Rocamadour

I'm about to book a holiday that's based in Rocamadour but having seen some photos I'm wondering whether I should - I walk with a stick and it is extremely hilly! How hard is it walking up and down, are the roads or pavements smooth? I really want to go there, it looks so beautiful!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,183 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking round Rocamadour

Rocamdour is on three levels: the commercial town, the religious centre, and the chateau at the top. Each level is fairly flat, but there are very steep steps connecting them. Fortunately, there are also lifts between the levels.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking round Rocamadour

The lifts are, however, not free (I don't remember the cost -- nominal, but adds up over a week or two!)

As Nick said, each level is fairly flat, but getting from one to another is not easy...as easy as can be for a village scratched into the side of a cliff, but it's not a doddle.

If your mobility is reduced, you might want to base yourself elsewhere and just visit Rocamadour on one of your days, rather than navigating the village for a week or two.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,540 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking round Rocamadour

Even the parking was either at the top or right down in a meadow at the bottom. It is the only French town I have met where the little white tourist train was simply to get you there, not really for sightseeing.

There are some roads in the town proper, not at the church level though. I don't know the driving rules and you should ask your accommodation about that.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking round Rocamadour

Another thing to consider is that Rocamadour gets VERY crowded in the warmer months...

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking round Rocamadour

We're going to Rocamadour next month!

I won't be driving so no problem there, and we have excursions most days, but we do have a free day or two in the town/village and I shall make the most og the lifts - I don't mind having to pay as long as they get me where I want to be!

Edited: 02 June 2011, 15:51
Wareham, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking round Rocamadour

A last minute question - are there shops in Rocamadour? Sounds silly but I may want to buy some milk to to go with tea making in our room - we often want a drink at odd times!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking round Rocamadour

There's a small superette in the little town just across the valley...there may be *something* in Rocamadour that would sell milk.

8. Re: Walking round Rocamadour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Rocamadour