We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toulouse with a 5 year old

Which Toulouse hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Toulouse with a 5 year old

My daughter and I will be spending about 4 days in Toulouse while my husband is working. We'll likely take a day to visit Carcassone. I'm trying to find some things to keep her happily occupied while we are in Toulouse. Is there a children's museum? Weekly puppet shows? Playgrounds? Unfortunately I don't know exactly where we'll be staying yet, which I realize doesn't help much for the playground thing. Any other ideas would be very much appreciated.

We're also interested in restaurants that are both very good and (I find that in France this isn't too hard to come by) family friendly. My daughter (age 5) is a great eater, willing to try new things, and behaves well; she's used to eating out and understands the rules. Especially interested in places that focus on fish, as I am not a big meat eater.

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can provide.

LulusMom (aka Kari)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,309 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toulouse with a 5 year old

Here's some information about the museums in Toulouse

…toulouse-tourisme.com/…1

At what time of year will your visit be? it can be pretty wet in Toulouse in winter.

You can go on riverboat trips in summer

…toulouse-tourisme.com/…17

and there's a zoo about 10 miles out of town if you can figure out a way to get there and back

http://www.zoo-africansafari.com/

I hope that helps a little bit.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toulouse with a 5 year old

Thank you so much. We'll be there late next month (November) so I do expect it will be fairly cold and wet.

thanks again for your help. I'm going to definitely check out the zoo and museum links.

k.

Washington state
Level Contributor
681 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toulouse with a 5 year old

My favorite thing in Toulouse was the Basilica St. Sernin, a sprawling Romesque cathedral-type (it's more famous than, but is not the Toulouse Cathedral) place of massive giant pillars.

It occurred to me that your daughter might find it fun to explore all the almost-hidden side chapels and the like. However, it's also possible that she could find it too dark and quiet. You'd have to gauge that.

But it's a fantastic place to at least pop your head into...

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toulouse with a 5 year old

Thank you so much. I think it sounds like the kind of thing we'd both really enjoy. I'm still trying to find out where we'll be staying, but assume the basilica is fairly central?

Washington state
Level Contributor
681 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toulouse with a 5 year old

It's in the central area of Toulouse, though a bit north of the Place du Capitole, that probably marks the most central spot. But it's a pleasant walk between those 2 areas.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toulouse with a 5 year old

Still awaiting word from my husband on where we're staying (he'll be working, so the hotel reservation was made for him). But this sounds perfect. I'm sure Lulu and I will enjoy the walk and the basilica. Thanks again.

7. Re: Toulouse with a 5 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2012, 06:17