We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning - Gare SNCF Matabiau Toulouse - SLOW service!

Which Toulouse hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wales
Level Contributor
222 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Warning - Gare SNCF Matabiau Toulouse - SLOW service!

Just a heads up to anyone buying tickets for the train here. It takes an absolute century!

If you are in a rush, make sure you have a credit card with you so you can use a machine. If you are using cash you can only buy a ticket from the desk which has a number pull queue system, where everyone seems to need to take ages about their business.

If you are short on time then you've got no chance.

Had I known this before travelling i would have left my ticket money in my bank account!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning - Gare SNCF Matabiau Toulouse - SLOW service!

I think this is true of most train stations in France. Because the ticket machines can deal with simple ticket purchases, the staffed ticket windows tend to be used by people who have a complex enquiry.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,591 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning - Gare SNCF Matabiau Toulouse - SLOW service!

I agree. Ticket windows are only used by people who have complex business, cannot buy tickets on line or don't have credit cards. I find that a long wait is almost inevitable at even smaller stations especially those of course that don't have ticket machines.

You can buy regional (TER) tickets using cash at their (normally) blue machines but not long distance tickets from the yellow ones.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning - Gare SNCF Matabiau Toulouse - SLOW service!

At some big stations I have noticed that schedules are posted showing when delays are likely to be greatest. To some extent these are the peak travel hours such as Friday afternoons, but they are also periods when staffing levels are lower, such as first thin in the morning, lunchtime and the early evening. These are of course the times that some passengers making advance and complicated trasactions may wish to make them.

Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
810 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning - Gare SNCF Matabiau Toulouse - SLOW service!

The best practice is to buy the ticket online in advance if you take the train with SNCF, you only have to reconfirm it by machine few minutes before depature

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning - Gare SNCF Matabiau Toulouse - SLOW service!

Buying online works if you can get a print-at-home e-ticket, which does not need any confirmation in a machine. But Americans cannot use a ticket machine to collect a pre-purchased ticket, as the machine will not accept magnetic stripe cards.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning - Gare SNCF Matabiau Toulouse - SLOW service!

I am planning to go to Toulouse to catch a train to Lourdes on Friday, March 28. 2014. I got frustrated trying to find the correct train times to Lourdes. Different websites show different times and I think it's due to the fact that the train I am trying to catch (late afternoon after 16:00) is an Intercites train. Apparently, Friday afternoon trains are not as frequent as Mon through Thurs.

I finally found the correct schedule on the Sncf website. Does anyone know if tickets can be purchased in advance for intercites trains? Rail Europe in the US doesn't offer the ticket for the time I want on their website. If not, I hope I don't have to wait too long to buy a ticket as i only have a small window of time to catch the train. I also have a chip and pin credit card, but after reading some reviews about chip and pin cards not working at ticket machines, I was hoping to purchase advance tickets to avoid any problems.

Do the tickets purchased at the ticket machines have to be validated prior to boarding the train?

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning - Gare SNCF Matabiau Toulouse - SLOW service!

Yes, you should be able to purchase that ticket online. Try https://www.capitainetrain.com/en or voyages-sncf.com

Rome, Italy
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning - Gare SNCF Matabiau Toulouse - SLOW service!

Hi! does anybody know how to reach toulouse matabiau from toulouse airport blagnac? How long is the trip? thanks million adelina

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,109 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning - Gare SNCF Matabiau Toulouse - SLOW service!

There is a shuttle bus from the airport to the station. It takes 20 to 45 minutes depending on traffic.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,591 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning - Gare SNCF Matabiau Toulouse - SLOW service!

Details are readily available - look across to the right and 'Top Questions'.