We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toulouse Itinerary

Northern New Jersey
Level Contributor
165 posts
226 reviews
Save Topic
Toulouse Itinerary

Hello TA friends!

Me and my wife are going to visit family in Toulouse this summer (late July). We will be there for roughly 5 days. We were wondering some "don't miss" attractions, road trips, and sights that are in Toulouse or worth a drive to (a day trip i.e. 2 hour drive). Please let us know and thanks for all the help!

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toulouse Itinerary

To get you started, research these places:

Going in a south-westerly direction:

Pau, Lourdes, Bagneres-de-Luchon (or almost anywhere in the Pyrenees National Park area)

Towards the south-east:

Carcassone (stopping off at Castelnaudary en route), Narbonne, Beziers, Pezanas

They are all under 2 hrs. from Toulouse.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toulouse Itinerary

Hi,

I have to say that Carcassone is a really great day out. (It's about 1/1.5 hours from Toulouse city). It's a walled city and there is so much to see just wandering around - loads of lovely shops and restaurants. You can also visit the actual castle, and though you have to pay it is worth it, and the audio guide is also quite good.

As for Toulouse itself, if it's your thing there are some good art museums (the Augustine Museum for fine art and Les Abbatoirs for modern art - though check the Abbatoirs has an installation in as they are always changing, and though the permanenet exhibition is good, the temporary stuff is excellent! I've seen some fantastic things there, from some very famous artists) Also first Sunday of the month, art galleries are free which is always good!

As for restaurants, there are some really great places in Toulouse (though food in France can sometimes be a bit pricey - just to let you know). There is a restaurant called Caves de la Marechale which does very good french food, and is just of Rue StRome (a really nice cobbled street you should take some time to wander down). If you're meat eaters, the Entrecote is also a must visit. They only do steak and chips, but it's fantastic! Though you will have to get there as it opens and there will be a line outside.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas :D

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toulouse Itinerary

Albi, Castelnaudary, Cordes-sur-Ciel, Castres, Villefranche-de-Laurageais, Auch, Cstelnaud-de-Montmiral.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
124 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toulouse Itinerary

The summers are full of festivals in France, http://www.findfestival.com/france/2014/july/

Definitely look to see if there is something that interests you. Many villages have a festival atmosphere every weekend, with music, food, night markets and such. It would be worth it to look at those as well. Carcassonne definitely fits that. Gaillac wine festival used to be in July, but looks to be in early August this year, but check those types of events. They are one of the things that makes France uniquely wonderful in summer.

5. Re: Toulouse Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Toulouse