We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to Albi

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
312 reviews
Save Topic
going to Albi

One of our free days we will go to Albi. I understand the train trip is easy. We will be at Pullman Center and I think the train leaves from a/train station near there...is that correct? I plan to walk over to the station the day before to check schedules and buy tickets. I cannot do this online because I do not have a chip and pin credit card.

If I buy roundtrip tickets, do I have to specify which return train we will take, or can we get an open ticket that gives us flexibility on the return time for same-day travel?

Also, any suggestions for an English language guidebook for Albi to use as we walk around?

Suggestions for a nice lunch?

Many thanks!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going to Albi

Going to Albi from where? You can do any train transaction online without a chip and pin card. There's no such thing as RT train tickets in France - you book specific trains going one direction.

Have you been to the official Albi website? That's always the first place to go to check out local information.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: going to Albi

The Pullman Centre is not far from Toulouse Matabiau train station. Trains to Albi are frequent, the journey takes less than one hour and the cheapest ticket costs less than €14.

You can buy both your open tickets at the last minute as the trains are regional and don't need reservation.

See www.snf.com for timetable.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going to Albi

If you have time the day before to get the tickets i is fine to do so. At the same time you can pick up a timetable leaflet, a fiche horaire. While technically there is no return return fare, you can get the tickets to aller et retour (Go and come back) at the same time.,As to a guidebook, I suggest that your first stop in Albi should be the Office de Tiurisme where they will have a range of leaflets, maps, etc and I would expect that some will be in English. I imagine that English language information will also be available in places like the Cathedral and the Toulouse Lautrec Museum.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,469 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: going to Albi

There is no point whatsoever buying tickets in advance as the trains are regional trains with no reservations and no discounts for advance purchase. Just allow 10 - 15 minutes at Toulouse to do battle with the ticket machines or the humans in the ticket office. Regional tickets must be date and time stamped at the yellow machines as you pass onto the platforms. The return trip can be made at any time within 3 months.

Downloadable timetable, in French only, at

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Midi_Pyrenees/Tridion/F…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: going to Albi

Thank you all very much!

North Yorks
Level Contributor
37 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: going to Albi

We're just back from Toulouse and travelled by train to Albi and back on one of our days. We went to the railway station the day before to pick up tickets and a timetable and found staff to be very helpful. Albi was really interesting. It's an easy 15 minute walk from the railway station to the cathedral

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: going to Albi

Good to know! Thanks for the update. We go soon!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: going to Albi

Thanks again for the help. Went over and got the tix and waited to pay a human cash at the ticket office. That and asking for help about which train, etc. from the English-speaking person at the info office took about 30 minutes. The info person saved us almost 20 euros by telling me to be sure to get a discounted fare on the Albi train.

Note for Americans: about half the time merchants cannot cope with my Chase chip and sign card and they are unable to use the mag stripe on it either. The hotel and higher end restaurants and a huge super market outside town had no problem. Smaller establishments, we were lucky to have cash on us. So I was not inclined to take my chances with a kiosk or even at the ticket counter :)

Edited: 03 June 2014, 13:16
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,469 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: going to Albi

US credit cards often have problems in Europe. Carrying a small amount of cash as backup is a sound idea.

Swiping cards is almost unheard of.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: going to Albi

I know...this one worked fine in Paris with the chip and sign...some card readers even switc into English prompts! It seems to depend on the reader they use. We use this one because it has no foreign currency fees. I hate carrying hundreds of euros around but that is what some dinners cost...wish our banks would get it together.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 13:36