We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toulouse to Paris - train or plane?

Which Toulouse hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Toulouse to Paris - train or plane?

Hi. I will be travelling from Toulouse to Paris in early September. I'm debating whether to take the train (5 hour ride) or take Easyjet ( 1 hour 20 min). The price is about the same. With flight delays, required checkin time and queues for a seat on the plane, I'm not sure if I should fly, although the duration looks significantly less. Any thoughts from fellow travellers that might have taken either route? Thank you!

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toulouse to Paris - train or plane?

I would say fly unless you are just into riding on the train . Flying is faster. Just arrive early to allow plenty of time for easyjet check-in as they dont have alot of checkin agents and if you are late they dont care if you are standing in line or not, you will lose your ticket. Also read the baggage restrictions carefully.

Orpington
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toulouse to Paris - train or plane?

Go By train. Easyjet are having to cancel flights due to increase in security. You can always admire countryside through window of train!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toulouse to Paris - train or plane?

My general rule of thumb is to take the train for journeys of four hours or less, fly if the train will take six hours or more. Which puts Toulouse right in the middle...

I think the current heightened security would tip me towards the train. Settle into a comfortable (well, OK, semi-comfortable, and better in first class...) seat with a good book, bring a picnic along, write some postcards, watch the scenery fly by and the time passes quickly.

No airport hassles, no long security lines, no airport transfers. (Just to avoid accusations of being alarmist, I'm sure yo will find that security procedures at Orly for a flight to Toulouse are a bit less stressful than the equivalent in the US for a trans-Atlantic flight...)

Bon voyage!

cavite
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Toulouse to Paris - train or plane?

What would be the name of the train station that gets to Paris?

Foster City, CA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Toulouse to Paris - train or plane?

I vote for EasyJet. I flew from Toulouse to Paris Orly last week on Easy Jet and it was on time and as pleasant as any airline. The Toulouse train station is a zoo, but the trains are invariably exactly on time, comfortable and clean. Easy Jet does have a baggage weight allowance of 20K which they enforce. They do not weigh your carry on though.

montreal
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Toulouse to Paris - train or plane?

A five hour trip on the SNCF to me is much nicer than all the hassles of air travel and much more comfortable. The Matabiau train station in Toulouse is located close to the city centre and the Montparnasse in Paris is linked to the Metro. We've done Toulouse-Bordeaux-Paris (with stopover in Bordeaux) by train last June and thoroughly enjoyed it. But then, we're hooked on the TGV.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toulouse to Paris - train or plane?

ytou've probably bought ticket by now but train is probably just as quick city centre to city centre. Once you add on travel to CDG, check-in, and then waiting for baggage at Blagnac and travel to Toulouse city centre the time difference is not that great and TGV is a great way to travel. Bon voyage.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Toulouse to Paris - train or plane?

My vote is always for the train just because you go from downtown to downtown and get to see some of the countryside while you're at it. Additionally, you don't have to deal with CDG, which is, of course a bonus all by itself.

On your way to the station pick up a picnic lunch and a half bottle of wine and enjoy the trip.

9. Re: Toulouse to Paris - train or plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Toulouse
Recent Conversations