We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good for biking

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
good for biking

hi all,

hubby and me we are planning on spending a saturday around the calais area on a day trip.

we thought it might be a good idea to take our bikes. 2 possibilities are coming to mind Le Touquet and Montreuil. given that we haven't been to either of them which one is the better town for cycling. i have just started up again and am not that great in traffic, favourite option would be to cycle along the sea front.

any ideas as to which of those 2 would be better greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good for biking

I suggest you choose Le Touquet. Although Montreuil-sur-Mer is very pretty, it's set up relatively high on a hill and the cobbled streets in the centre are not really bike-friendly. It's also quite compact so there isn't all that much to cycle around.

Le Touquet is a very agreeable and widely spread out seaside resort with a good beach and with an open feel too it, but with nice backstreets and plenty of restaurants and shops, as well as some impressive buildings from the heydays of the Edwardian/Old Parisian age.

To help you cycle in Le Touquet you can download the map/guide from this website, which is in French but the map with information for cyclists should be understandable:

lestouquettois.fr/deplacements-stationnement…

If you want to cycle near Le Touquet this website has detailed maps of several routes in the town and surrounding areas.

routeyou.com/location/bike/47249510/biking-i…

I'm now only an occasional cyclist but hope this helps.

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good for biking

as i've mentioned in my original post i have just started cycling again after many years, so still a bit shaky on my wheels.

we will visit le touquet that's been decided and the map should be a great help, let us also hope that the weather won't be too grotty.

thx so much.

all the best

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good for biking

Le Touquet is as flat as a pancake, has miles and miles of designated Cycle paths and French motorists actually respect the right of Cyclists to share the roads with them - unlike the UK.

http://youtu.be/jBCrZ6jIl4w

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good for biking

footage sure looks great, looking forward to next saturday,

cheers for that.

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good for biking

thx all for your replies, they have been a great help. we visited le touqet last saturday,unfortunately it was an very wet day, rained non-stop. we did use the bikes a bit before it truly set it in.

we will go again in the spring when there will be a better chance of a nicer day.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,643 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good for biking

It's a shame that the weather wasn't on your side Sunshine :( Although I'm glad you got to cycle for a bit before it came over.

The good old "French" weather huh? Glad it hasn't dampened your spirits and you want to go back next year :) x

7. Re: good for biking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 18:19
Get answers to your questions about Nord-Pas-de-Calais