We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon - Edinburhg: Considering a stop in Lille vs Paris

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Avignon - Edinburhg: Considering a stop in Lille vs Paris

My daughter and I are doing a convoluted trip in November and I am trying to somewhat simplify it.

We will be going CDG-Avignon and staying in Avignon a few days.

We are then going to Edinburgh. Since we don't want to sit on a train for so long all at once, we are thinking of stopping overnight in either Lille or Paris. We'd arrive in the afternoon, tour around, have dinner and the next morning start our journey to Edinbugh via London.

I am thinking that it might be easier to go through Lille but I am not sure if it saves us any time or if it makes connections, etc... less convenient. I would welcome any & all thoughts or advice!

TIA.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Avignon - Edinburhg: Considering a stop in Lille vs Paris

If you are sure that you want to go all the way from Avignon to Edinburgh by train, than changing at Lille Europe would be easier than changing in Paris.

There is a good range of hotels, bars and restaurants near the station.

The Eurostar train departs from Lille Europe, and on arrival at St Pancras you just have to cross the road to get to Kings Cross for your onward connection to Edinburgh.

However, it will be a long journey. Would not a flight from CDG direct to Edinburgh be easier?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avignon - Edinburhg: Considering a stop in Lille vs Paris

Arriving at either City in the afternoon in November will give you only a few hours of daylight for sightseeing.

Lille railway stations are both, quite literally, a few minutes walk from the City centre and are easily walked to find shops, restaurants and decent hotels.

Paris would probably involve more walking and/or transport to find shops, restaurants and your hotel.

Unless you are desperate to see something of importance, or have never visited Paris before, then Lille is probably easier to access and view with such a short stay.

Trains are frequent from Avignon to Lille and should cost well under £40 if booked as early as possible.

Eurostar trains to London from Lille are as frequent as they are from Paris.

3. Re: Avignon - Edinburhg: Considering a stop in Lille vs Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2015, 11:33
Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avignon - Edinburhg: Considering a stop in Lille vs Paris

Thanks all. We've been to Paris many times and really don't need to go on this trip, so I think we will go thru Lille.

PaulDuncan - I looked into flights and it will not save nearly as much time or money as one would think. There are no direct flts from CDG to Edinburgh at that time of year, so we'd have to change in London. Once we factored in the hassle of the airport plus the time lost to changing planes, the train became the better option. From Lille to London, it's just about 90 minutes travel time, and then from London to Edinburgh another 4 1/2 hours. We're going to try to leave very early in the morning so we can see the countryside.

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avignon - Edinburhg: Considering a stop in Lille vs Paris

Any thoughts on a nice hotel or B&B?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Avignon - Edinburhg: Considering a stop in Lille vs Paris

I didn't realise there were no flights from CDG to Edinburgh at that time of year. Sorry.

Regarding hotels, Hotel Lille Europe, Hotel Flandre Angleterre, and Hotel Continental are near both stations, as well as several bars and restaurants, and would be convenient for an early departure from Lille.

These would all be about €70 - 80 per night.

The Crowne Plaza and the Suite Hotel are near Lille Europe station, but are quite a bit more expensive.

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avignon - Edinburhg: Considering a stop in Lille vs Paris

No reason for you to know about the flights -- unless you work for EasyJet. :)

Thanks for the hotel tips.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avignon - Edinburhg: Considering a stop in Lille vs Paris

The trip by train must take around 12 hours when you factor in station changes and trhe rest. Surely there must be quicker ways to get to Edinburgh.

I know easyJet operates Lyon to Edinburgh. There are direct TGVs from Avignon to the Lyon St-Éxupéry airport taking about 1.5 hours. You might also be able to find direct flights to either Edinburgh or Glasgow from Marseille airport, less than 1.5 hours from Avignon.. Check www.whichbudget.com or www.skyscanner.net

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avignon - Edinburhg: Considering a stop in Lille vs Paris

The flights from Lyon do not run on the dates I need (at that time of year, Weds & Sat only.) There are no flights to Edinburgh from Marseille and Glasgow is not an option as it will not serve the cause of saving us time nor making the trip more direct.

We could conceivably take the train back to CDG and then to Edinburgh - the last time I looked, they were all going thru London. If that has changed, it could be an option.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avignon - Edinburhg: Considering a stop in Lille vs Paris

There are no direct trains from CDG to London let alone Edinburgh. Surely a flight from Marseille to Glasgow and a train from there to Edinburgh would be quicker than taking the train all the way from Avignon to Edinburgh, no? It's less than an hour by train between the two cities.

Get answers to your questions about Lille
Recent Conversations