We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours in Lille - enough time to do some tourist things?

Which Lille hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kent
Level Contributor
362 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
24 hours in Lille - enough time to do some tourist things?

I arrive in Lille (if I do this trip) at 4, and leave the next day at 4, so will I have enough time to look around the Beaux Arts, travel the Metro, do some shopping and visit some other things? I am travelling by train, so can leave just before 4, therefore, I have an evening and a morning/ partial afternoon. Anything you can recommend also in 24 hours for me to do? Thanks!

Paris
Level Contributor
97 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hours in Lille - enough time to do some tourist things?

Hello,

In 24 hours, you will have sufficient time to stroll in the center and old part of town (Vieux Lille). Every walking trip starts at the Grand place 5 minutes walk from the main Railway station (Gare lille flandre). If you come from UK or Belgium, you will arrive at Gare Lille Europe, take the metro for 1 station (or walk along an ugly bridge!)

Try to get an hotel in the center (near Lille flandres there are plenty small cheap and clean hotel, tripaadvisor of course will help you!) so you practically can avoid metro (if you take metro, there are special half price tickets if your journey is less than 4 stops).

In terms of shopping: A galerie lafayette and printemps department stores on a walking street called rue de bethune. There are obvioulsy smaller than the one in Paris. Rue de bethune is for regular shopping. Then in the vieux lille (rue de la grande chaussee/rue basse) you have more upscale shopping with most of the luxury brands.

In terms of visiting, Grand Place is of course mandatory with the old Stock exchange and the "befroi" near by. you should stroll in the Vieux Lille which is a relatively small area of half a dozen small streets with beautiful old buildings, lots of small shops, restaurants...etc. Don't miss the waffles at Meert rue esquermoise, beautiful bakery/tea place, expensive but worth it. The museum of art is about 5 minutes walk. If you are on a wednesday, friday or sunday, you have a beautiful small market on the "place du concert'' in the Vieux Lille. Otherwise, the Wazemme area has a huge market on tuesday, thursday and Sunday which is quite appealing. Wazemme is walkable (take rue gambetta) or 3 stops metro from center.

In terms of restaurants, you have a huge choice and it is very difficult to pick one without knowing what you like! There are 2 one star michelin restaurants in a walkable distance, l'Huitriere beeing the famous one (I personnaly think it is too pricey for the value you get but lots of people will disagree). L'hermitage gantois is a beautiful relatively upscale restaurant and it is also a very nice hotel altough slightly out of the action (about 10-15 min walk). One of my favourite restaurant is called "barbu d'anvers" which is on a small street near Grand Place. You can find it on tripadvisor!

Altough lille is the 4th largest city in France, it is significantly less stressful than Paris and you will see people are definetly friendlier there specially with a beer!

Enjoy your trip!

2. Re: 24 hours in Lille - enough time to do some tourist things?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2012, 15:30
3. Re: 24 hours in Lille - enough time to do some tourist things?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2012, 15:30
Glasgow, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hours in Lille - enough time to do some tourist things?

wish to visit British Memorial Cemetry Loos what would be best way to get there

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 hours in Lille - enough time to do some tourist things?

If you have free access, you might look up a NY Times article on Flemish regional cuisine in Lille, France. The Palais de Beaux Arts is a superb museum, worth several hours.

Make sure you buy the right transit ticket and cancel it properly. Maybe I was there on a high-security day, but I saw more ticket-checkers in one day in Lille than I've seen cumulatively in seven trips to Paris! Maybe since the trains don't have drivers they have more platform employees ...

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 hours in Lille - enough time to do some tourist things?

obsoperator - Maybe since the trains don't have drivers they have more platform employees ...

Always buy a ticket as the Ticket-checkers are seen on many of the automated Metro trains.

The last time we travelled on the train three big guys in uniform jumped on at one of the stations, started checking tickets, found one man (French and local) without a ticket and he was ejected tout suite at the next station.

As we departed he was being questioned and probably fined - I wouldn't have liked to argue with those three!

The Metro is a great way to get around - clean, quick and cheap.

7. Re: 24 hours in Lille - enough time to do some tourist things?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 06:17