We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top Europcar experience, easy p/up tricky return location

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
31 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Top Europcar experience, easy p/up tricky return location

We recently rented from Europcar at the Caen rail station with a return to the Rouen rail station. Our experience renting online was great - I had A LOT of questions and they were all answered via chat or email and I was very happy with the answers and information provided to each of my questions. I had looked up how to find the office in Caen - very easy, right across from the rail station for the paperwork and keys and then just a short walk to the lot to pick up our car. We did rent a GPS, for which I will be forever grateful. We had a Michelin map and I had also printed out directions, but more than once the GPS steered us correctly where I was having trouble with all my paper. The car was spotless and so easy to drive on the narrow streets for our wandering. We had a 2 door Fiat. I neglected to research the return location at the Rouen rail station and either we missed the signs or it's not well marked. We ended up parking and I went into the station to learn that we had to drive into the parking garage P2, and drive to Level -2 to return. We lost quite a bit of time sorting this out - my fault entirely - so I wanted to share this with future renters. The folks inside the train station and the guy we returned the car to in the garage were very nice, helpful and friendly. I would not hesitate to rent from Europcar again, but would do my location homework in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Rouen
Rouen
Seine-Maritime, France
Lot
Lot
Occitanie, France
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top Europcar experience, easy p/up tricky return location

Your experience with returning the car in Rouen mimics experiences we've had with one way dropoffs in Caen and Lyon, with both Eurocrats and Hertz. The signage for the car return is just poorly marked, and we have driven in circles around the block trying to find it multiple times. And in both cases we had maps from the car rental website purporting to depict the location for the return . Moral: unless you are dropping off where you picked up, give yourself plenty of time.

Edited: 07 May 2017, 21:55
Mentioned in this post
Rouen
Rouen
Seine-Maritime, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
L R
Level Contributor
313 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top Europcar experience, easy p/up tricky return location

Thanks for the info--we are renting from europcar from saint malo to Rouen so much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Rouen
Rouen
Seine-Maritime, France
3. Re: Top Europcar experience, easy p/up tricky return location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 May 2017, 00:16
Edited: 08 May 2017, 00:16
4. Re: Top Europcar experience, easy p/up tricky return location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2018, 07:18