We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

D-Day Beaches and The American Cemetary

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
D-Day Beaches and The American Cemetary

My husband and I would like to tour D-Day beaches and thr American Cemetary next year, specifically May 27, 2019 (which is Memorial Day in the US). Will everything be opened to the public and will tours be conducted?

2 replies to this topic
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: D-Day Beaches and The American Cemetary

welcome,

you need to remember that "memorial day" is the USA observance. It maybe called something else locally if they observe it.

You can contact your tour guide(s) you plan or want to use and see what they say. They will more than likely have an idea if/when they will be conducting tours or not.

If you plan on visiting any other USA cemeteries, there is a website for the commission that runs them. Here is a link for you. it has the info you need and then some.

https:/….WwCAcS-ZO8g

A comment. I hope you plan to spend a few days up there since there is alot to do and see. Also, whoever you choose to do the tour, i would see if they plan to be on the beach at low tide. its something that i feel will enhance the area and what our troops had to deal with that day.

good luck

Bayeux, France
Level Contributor
159 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: D-Day Beaches and The American Cemetary

The ceremony for Memorial day in the US cemetery will take place the sunday, May 26. Memorial day isn't celebrated in France, just in the US cemeteries, which of course will be open on the 27th as well, they are open all year round.

On the 26th or the 27th, two flags, US and French, will be planted in front of EACH grave for memorial day. Very impressive.

Book a tour WELL IN ADVANCE ! It will be also the 75th anniversary of DDay, don't wait 2019 to book a tour.

Conclusion: Yes, the cemetery is open, Yes, tours are conducted.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Reply to: D-Day Beaches and The American Cemetary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted