We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in Normandy - itinerary advice please

Ohio
Level Contributor
255 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
1 week in Normandy - itinerary advice please

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Normandy with my mom. She will be 78 at the time of the trip but is in fairly good shape. We are going to start with 4 days in Barcelona because the Sagrada Familia is on her bucket list.y

Here are my thoughts - any advice is appreciated.

Day 5 - fly from Barcelona to Paris (not sure which airport to use), rent a car, drive to Bayeux. I have read about taking the train from Paris to Caen and then renting a car there, and this is a possibility. Stay in either Bayeux or Arromanches

Day 6 - Visit to Mont St. Michele (another bucket item). Stay in Bayeux or Arromanches

Day 7 - Pont d'Hoc, American Cemetery, Omaha beaches, etc. Stay in Bayeux

Day 8 - Bayeux - visit tapestry, cathedral, etc.

Day 9 - Drive to Rouen, tour Rouen. Stay in Rouen

Day 10 - Drive to Paris with a stop at Les Andelys, return car, stay in Paris near CDG airport

Day 11 - fly home to States

I think this is doable. I know that MSM and D-Day will each be full days, which is why the day in Bayeux will be on the quieter side. We'll probably do this trip in 2019 and I would like to do end of May or early June. We may also look at September. I don't want to do late June - August to try to avoid some of the crowds.

I appreciate any input or advice.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Basilica of the Sagrada Familia
Basilica of the Sagrada...
137,656 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Omaha Beach
Omaha Beach
1,744 Reviews
Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer, France
Rouen
Rouen
Seine-Maritime, France
Les Andelys
Les Andelys
75 Reviews
Normandy, France
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
9 replies to this topic
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,423 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in Normandy - itinerary advice please

welcome,

I will let others give their 0.02 on driving.

There are tours in the Normandy area what will do the driving for you. You can do a group tour or a private tour. Its up to you. But if you want to spend more time in those places, then go ahead and drive.

MSM is on a mound, a hilly mound. So you WILL be doing walking all over it. Just something to be aware of.

Many parts of Europe do not have paved streets like the USA. Cobblestone is used alot and so you will see alot in use and it wont be a nice and flat and smooth as blacktop or concrete. Just something to think about while you are walking alot on your trip.

Some places even use pavers for sidewalks too and depending on their maintenance or lack of it, you maybe dodging potholes on the sidewalk too.

make sure you bring at least 1 pair of COMFORTABLE shoes. I bring 2 and swap daily.

good luck.

Edited: 03 June 2018, 04:28
Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in Normandy - itinerary advice please

SInce your destination is Normandy I would fly into Beauvais if possible. Ryanair fly that route, but watch their T&Cs, especially concerning online check-in and luggage restrictions. That avoids any driving near Paris. There is nothing of particular interest in Les Andélys, but nearby are Château-Gaillard, Giverny and superb La-Roche-Guyon. By the St Michel (as in Mont) is masculine, not feminine (Michèle).

Mentioned in this post
Beauvais
Beauvais
Oise, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Giverny
Giverny
Eure, France
Ohio
Level Contributor
255 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week in Normandy - itinerary advice please

Thanks for the feedback. I have been to Europe a few times so I am quite familiar with cobblestone streets. I'll look into tours from Bayeux for MSM but know that I'll drive for the D-day sites. I think I want control over how much time we spend at each location and also want control of where we go.

My mom was an English & History major in college and is enamored with Richard the LionHeart, which is why we may stop in Les Andelys on the way to Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Les Andelys
Les Andelys
75 Reviews
Normandy, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Florida
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week in Normandy - itinerary advice please

My suggestion is to look into a rental in Bayeux called Le Logis St Martin. It is listed on VRBO and is located right in the center of Bayeux on the main street. It is on the second floor and has a great living room, kitchen, two bedrooms, two bathrooms and washer/dryer.

Plenty of restaurants, shops within a short walk and it was our base for a five day trip to Normandy three years ago. We are using it again in July for another trip to the region. It is vey affordable at only about $150 US per night.

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week in Normandy - itinerary advice please

You can easily do Normandy within a week. You can find an itinerary and what to see in the region here. https:/…

Mentioned in this post
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week in Normandy - itinerary advice please

You might consider spending your last night in Normandy in Petit-Andelys, which is close to the site of the Richard Coeur de Lyon castle. The small hotel La Chaîne d'Or is a lovely place on the banks of the Seine, with pretty rooms and an excellent restaurant. The following day you'd have about an hour's drive on the motorway to get to CDG.

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Roissy-en-France, France
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week in Normandy - itinerary advice please

Hello, we are going to Normandy in two weeks. This is what I have planned so far, obviously we haven't done it yet but I think it seems to flow well and fits ours wishes for what we want to see.

Day 1: pick up a car from CDG early am and head to airbnb 40 min from Bayeux. We plan to stop in Honfluer and maybe hit up Camberer and a cider place or two on our way.

Day 2: Guided tour of American DDay beaches leaving from Bayeux. Afterward head to bnb outside of Sainte-Mère-Église.

Day 3: Open day in which we hope to explore a bit of the Cotentin Peninsula, maybe see some lighthouses and picnic on the beach, go back to bayeux etc.

Day 4: Mont Saint-Michel day and travel to bnb near Giverny afterwards.

Day 5: Open day, maybe hike near Chateau Gaillard (Les Andelys), go to Lyons-la-Forêt, or Etreat (if we feel like driving still).

We are really interested in seeing French countryside and seaside villages. Notice we don't have Caen, Rouen, Giverny, etc. on our itenerary. I hope that isn't a mistake but we really focused on two main sites and wanted to leave the other days up to exploring how we wanted to. The itenery has quite a bit of driving but we are from Montana and are used to driving a couple hours one way to get somewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Roissy-en-France, France
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Mont-Saint-Michel
Mont-Saint-Michel
Manche, France
Giverny
Giverny
Eure, France
Chateau Gaillard
Chateau Gaillard
290 Reviews
Normandy, France
Les Andelys
Les Andelys
75 Reviews
Normandy, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Rouen
Rouen
Seine-Maritime, France
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week in Normandy - itinerary advice please

You'll get more responses if you begin your own post rather than piggybacking onto the current one.

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 week in Normandy - itinerary advice please

I wasn't meaning to piggyback. Just trying to show what our itenerary looked like in case OP was curious.

Reply to: 1 week in Normandy - itinerary advice please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted