We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No car in normandy, france

new york
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
No car in normandy, france

Are the beaches in Normandy (WW11) do-able without a car? - what town can we stay in and get a bus to the sites? Our base is Versailles but we have a lot of experience doing trains in France.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No car in normandy, france

I have only done Normandy by car and I am sure that trains can get you from city to city and town to town. We did see a lot of bus tours at the "big sites", but being able to drive along the cost and through the towns, and being able to meander and stop where we liked, was invaluable to our appreciation of the area and its history. I guess it depends on what you want to see and whether or not you want to be on your own scedule or someone else's. I am not sure if all the historical areas are accessible by train - prerhaps someone else willl give you that information

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No car in normandy, france

I am not sure about train and bus schedules either, but it was great to wander on our own with a car. The area is great for driving, quiet roads and lots of neat villages to see. I personally hate organized tours and love the freedom of my own car

Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No car in normandy, france

You can get a train from Paris to Bayeux and you can do D-Day tours from Bayeux.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
4. Re: No car in normandy, france

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 22:20