We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this the right forum?

Naples
Level Contributor
295 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Is this the right forum?

I'm not sure I'm even on the right forum but, since this question involves a number of places within the Normandy area, it seemed like a good place to start.

After spending a week in Paris, we'd like to visit the WWII sites (we'll take a tour bus), making Bayeux our base for 2-3 days. We'd also like to visit Mont St. Michel and Honfleur , spending a night or two in each place, before having to take a train to CDG.

We're hoping to avoid renting a car and using trains as our main mode of transportation. We're just not sure from which side should we approach Bayeux. Should we go Paris-Rennes-MSM-Bayeux-Honfleur-Rouen-to CDG -- or -- Paris-Rouen-Honfleur-Bayeux--MSM-Rennes-to CDG? There has to be some logic as to why one route is better than the other ~ I just can't come up with it!!

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this the right forum?

As you intend staying a night or two in each place I supose you can afford to loose time trying to do it without renting a car. But you still waste a lot of time.

Paris to Honfleur is 2hours in a car By train you can get to Le Havre or Deauville then a bus or taxi.

Honfleur to Bayeux in a car is 1 hour. On a bus I'd say it'll take half a day.

Bayeux to MSM is 1.5 hours in a car. There are very few trains, somedays none, to Pontorson, then a bus to MSM.

Naples
Level Contributor
295 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this the right forum?

cpmac ~ as usual, you're spot on and have convinced us that we need to rent a car. However, we'd still prefer to at least take the train from Paris to either Rouen or Rennes.

If, taking the train from Paris makes sense, should be go to Rouen, plck up a car and drive to Honfleur, staying there for a few nights, then driving on to Bayeux, staying there 2 nights, driving to MSM, staying one night, then driving to Rennes to catch a train to CDG? Or should we do the reverse, starting in Rennes?

Hope I'm not driving you crazy. I've enjoyed your answers to other TA's ~ you're always the voice of reason!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this the right forum?

Probably the anti-clockwise route would be best. There are regular trains from Paris St Lazare to Rouen and some from Rennes direct to CDG, which would avoid having to get through central Paris at the end of the trip.

Naples
Level Contributor
295 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this the right forum?

RailTraveller65 ~ Thank you!!! You have made my husband very happy because that was the route he preferred and you've made me very happy because now I can get on with checking out hotels and restaurants.

Again, thanks!

5. Re: Is this the right forum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2011, 06:17