We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

D Day Tours from Paris

Michigan
Level Contributor
155 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
D Day Tours from Paris

This may have been addressed before, but I didn't find it during a search of past posts.

My wife and I have one day to visit the D Day beaches. Our question is -- do we take a tour bus from Paris with a tour company such as Paris Vision, Normandy D Day or Cityrama, or do it ourselves, taking the train to Bayeux and then finding a tour operator there? The tours from Paris run from $250-340/person.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to which would be a better experience, taking into account that we want to start and finish in Paris in one day?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: D Day Tours from Paris

For a one day trip, I would suggest that you take the train from the Paris St. Lazarre train station to Bayeux or Caen and hire a private guide from there. Group tours leave early in the morning, but a private guide can meet you at the train station and tailor a tour to fit your time frame. The train fare and private guide should be within the cost (or less!) of the tour rates from Paris that you've quoted.

Go here to book your train fare, and for a translation, use any English speaking country as you home country. Using "USA" as your home country will send you to the more more expensive and less comprehensive "RailEurope" site, and using another country on this site will not affect you ability to purchase a ticket in advance:

http://www.tgv-europe.com/en/

How to book your train fare and the particulars is explained expertly here on a blog from one of the best TA posters. I've learned much from sydneynick:

www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Here is a link that will give you a starter list for tour guides and other suggestions from TA contributors. Some of these companies offer scheduled tour groups and private tours as well You might also want to visit the Bayeux and Caen "Things to Do" for more guide suggestions.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187179-i607-k4194…

Have a great trip and come back if you have any questions.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
577 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: D Day Tours from Paris

My husband and I are doing this tour in June. I know one day is not enough time to do the area justice, but we will get a taste of it and maybe next time we can spend more time there. He seems very busy but maybe he will have an opening on the day you want to go. You do take the train to Bayeux early in the morning. His rates are a lot cheaper than what you quoted for a tour from Paris. He also only has 8 people in the group at a time which I think is a benefit.

http://lignerolles.homestead.com/

New York
Level Contributor
266 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: D Day Tours from Paris

We enjoyed the LinkParis tour a few years ago. We took the train to Caen early, met the guide for a group of 8 at the station, spent the morning at Le Memorial de Caen and the afternoon and early evenimg visiting the beaches and the cemeteries. Our guide was wonderful. She gave us lots of extra time and we got a train back to Paris around 8 PM. It was not cheap but it was worth every penny and we don't much care for guided tours.

4. Re: D Day Tours from Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 00:16