We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on bases to stay in Normandy to maximise trip

Stratfield...
Level Contributor
6 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on bases to stay in Normandy to maximise trip

My husband and I are planning an 11 night trip from England in May/June coming with our own car via Eurotunnel to Calais.

I would value some comments/advice on my proposed itinerary:

1. 2/3 nights somewhere we can visit Chartres and Versailles. Should we try and do Giverny from here too or not?

2. 6 nights near Bayeux including seeing Mont St Michel, Bayeux and Honfleur. Is Bayeux the most sensible base?

3. 2/3 nights in Rouen. Should we do Giverny from here?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on bases to stay in Normandy to maximise trip

I'm a great believer in not moving about too much as you waste so much time packing, unpacking, checking in and checking of places that it doesn't feel like a holiday. However, as you have such a nice long trip I would suggest staying in Honfleur for a night on your way down from Calais, then you only have a 2 hour drive from Calais. The your idea of Bayeux as a base but perhaps for 4/5 nights, then choose your base for Chartres and Versailles for a 2/3 nights and then Rouen for 2/3 nights and certainly that would be the best base for your visit to Giverny.

Sounds like a nice trip.

Stratfield...
Level Contributor
6 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on bases to stay in Normandy to maximise trip

Thanks for the advice. Any tips for where to stay to see Chartres and Versailles? Inbetween the two or use one as a base to see both?

Essex
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on bases to stay in Normandy to maximise trip

I would pick, of those two, Versailles to stay at, you really need a whole day (or more if you can 'give' it) for the Chateau and Grounds. There would be much merit in being 'on the spot' so you can beat the crowds coming out from Paris for a day trip, to the door!

Chartres Cathedral is beautiful, but you don't really need a whole day to see that, or to wander in the old town - although of course spending as much time as you can on such 'moochings about' are always worthwhile IME!

Thiaumerie has given you some great suggestions, otherwise - a really nice route planned out for you there!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on bases to stay in Normandy to maximise trip

I would start with the Bayeux/MSM portion of your trip and when you've finished there leave in the morning and arrive at Chartres in the afternoon and spend a few hours there and then drive to Versailles. Stay overnight in Versailles and see the châteaux the next day and after your visit head to Rouen and see Giverny during your few days in Rouen.

Stratfield...
Level Contributor
6 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on bases to stay in Normandy to maximise trip

Thanks for all your advice.

6. Re: Advice on bases to stay in Normandy to maximise trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2013, 10:32