We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day and a half, how best to spend?

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Day and a half, how best to spend?

Coming by train from Paris on Monday morning, so will have a 1/2 day in Normandy Monday afternoon and a full day Tuesday to tour the Normandy battlefield. Most tours I'm seeing that are listed as 1/2 day's are scaled down version's of the Full Day tour. Meaning most sites you end up seeing twice.

Any advise on how which tours I should look to go through that show a series of sites one day with a second all day tour of completely new sites?

Essex
Level Contributor
28,424 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day and a half, how best to spend?

Where are you planning to stay? Hazard a guess Bayeux.

Plenty to see and do "in town" that will easily fill half a day (and more)

You can do this yourself, without a tour....

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day and a half, how best to spend?

If you are talking about next Monday, you had better check space availability with the various tour companies. If nothing is available you may have to look into a private guide.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day and a half, how best to spend?

I agree with what Essex and hemlock have said, and in looking at the Overlord website, their half day tours do look like they are mostly a scaled down version of their full day tours. However, contact them, and see if they might suggest a combo that may not be so much of the same thing. I'm suggesting Overlord because it's one of (if not the) largest touring company out of Bayeux, but you might check other companies on the links on this post. Also, check the "Top Questions" topics along the right margin of this page and scrolling along the green bar along the top of this page, select "Things to Do" in the "Normandy" drop down.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187179-i607-k5174…

There are some updates and additional contributions in the discussion that follows this original post, so also, check those.

If this doesn't work and as EW suggested, give yourself the half day to enjoy Bayeux and the Tapestry museum. This will be a slow paced day, but one that you will enjoy. It also means that you won't have to rush to get out of Paris. I might also suggest that you rent a car, drive to Omaha beach and walk down the trail to the beach. Tours aren't rushed, but there isn't time to do this on a group tour. It's very moving and look at cpmac's post #6 on how to find the trail and where you can park.

tripadvisor.com/…34028922

This topic talks about getting to the beach without a car, but it can be a bit tricky. Personally, I wouldn't count on it. What I would suggest would be to take the train from Paris to Caen, renting a car there, and either keep it until you go back to Paris (it's really not necessary) or keep it for only that day and taking the train to Bayeux. Car rental offices are located outside the Caen train station, so it's easy if you make sure your pick up location is located there. Another thing you might consider is driving to the lovely town of Honfleur, but if you are a WWII buff, do the beach.

I agree with hemlock that pickings might be slim if you are talking about this Monday. If you meant "a Monday," things may not be so tight, but for "this Monday," you may have to hope for a cancellation. That said, I never say "never" until I've turned every stone! Another caution I might share is that there is construction on the rail lines between Paris and Normandy. Most of the time, this only means a weekend shutdown, but comeback if you haven't already figured this out.

4. Re: Day and a half, how best to spend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 06:19