We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First night after long flight from US to Paris

Novato, California
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First night after long flight from US to Paris

Hi, My GF and I are landing at CDG in early Dec at around 3PM. After we clear customs and get the rental car it will be dark. We would like to find a destination in Normandy (or in that direction) we can drive to in a few hours that night that 1) has easy parking, 2) an excellent restaurant and comfortable accommodations. Price is a consideration but secondary to experience and quality. A country Inn with a great restaurant would be ideal. BTW, we are spending 3 nights in Normandy before our week in Paris. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,025 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First night after long flight from US to Paris

You don't want to drive far, as you will be jet-lagged and it will be getting dark. I would suggest you aim for Lyons-la-Forêt, which is a charming small town about 100 km (60 miles) from CDG.

The Hotel La Licorne is comfortable and has an excellent restaurant: http://www.hotel-licorne.com

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First night after long flight from US to Paris

To avoid driving when jetlagged problems why not start in Paris and go to Normandy at the end of trip?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,937 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First night after long flight from US to Paris

Positioning for early morning departures on the last day of a vacation in France is the reason many people leave Paris until the last part of their trip. Already being in Paris makes getting to the airport a lot easier when it's time to return home as most departures are early in the day.

However, I would not plan on driving more than 30 minutes from CDG in any direction. You will be tired, it will indeed be dark, and traffic will be heavy.

I might suggest this hotel:

www.lerelaisbrunehaut.fr/

Novato, California
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First night after long flight from US to Paris

Hi, Thank you for all your responses. I should have mentioned in my original question that I have driven in Europe after long plane rides multiple times and so I am aware of what it is like and I'm certainly good for 200-250K of driving in the early evening. But based on my previous driving experience I am trying to avoid the hassles associated with city driving locating the hotel at the end of the journey. If anyone knows of a country Inn in Normandy (or close to) with a great restaurant that we can drive to directly that would be ideal. Thank you again.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First night after long flight from US to Paris

You may have already decided you don't want to explore this option, but my recommendation is to take the 5:10 or 6:10 p.m. direct train from Gare St. Lazare to Bayeux, which gets you into town in plenty of time to relax, have supper ... and then pick up your rental car the next morning (then take train back to Paris 3 days later). Although the Hertz is on the way out of town, it's very easy to get to and renting a car there is simple.

Novato, California
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First night after long flight from US to Paris

I had considered the train the first night and then renting the next day, weighing the pros and cons of entering and exiting Paris on a Friday night via public transportation versus driving in rush hour traffic but avoiding entering Paris. However the details in your response are very helpful and so I will look into this option further as well. Thank you.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,339 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First night after long flight from US to Paris

When we arrived from California we picked up a car and drove as far as Petit Andelys, staying at the excellent small hotel/restaurant La Chaîne d'Or. The drive was on major roads and not difficult; it took around 2 hours. Normally I wouldn't suggest driving after a long flight, but this was an exception because of the ease of the trip.

The hotel is right on the banks of the river Seine. Rooms at the back overlook the river, as does the very pretty dining room.

Novato, California
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First night after long flight from US to Paris

Looks very promising and the approximate drive time is what I was looking for. Thank you.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,339 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First night after long flight from US to Paris

You're welcome. I think you'll like the hotel, and the village is just the right size for walking out the travel kinks. Château Gaillard, built for Richard Coeur-de-Lion, sits on the hill above the village.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,313 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First night after long flight from US to Paris

We have also driven to Giverny, stayed at a B&B overnight, seen Monet's gardens when they open in the morning then pushed on to the next destination. There are several hotels in the town with restaurants.