We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation in Normandy

Dryden, ON
4 posts
Save Topic
Accomodation in Normandy

We are planning to spend two weeks in October travelling around Normandy. At that time of the year, should we book accommodations in advance or will we be able to find a room when we arrive in each town?

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation in Normandy

What type of accommodation? If you will be staying in city/large town hotels (for example, Ibis, Novotel or similar), then you should be ok. However, bear in mind that you could spend a lot of time driving around finding a place if you want a family B & B (Chambre d'hote). They are usually signposted but not always located in the centre of town and can be tucked away down a country lane.

If you don't want to book in advance, you could always make a list including contact numbers and directions and simply ring them en route to check out availability.

These sites should get you started:

www.ibishotel.com

www.bed-breakfast-france.com

www.bedandbreakfast.com/france/html

N California
Level Contributor
505 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation in Normandy

I think you would be fine with finding places to stay as you go along. I've done it that way in April and June in Normandy/Brittany without any problems. If you have very specific desires (hotel ON Mt St Michel, for example) you might want reservations for that.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation in Normandy

If you don't have kids, have the Michelin Red Guide, and have a cell phone and speak French so you can call ahead, it will be no problem. Absent any of those criteria it could be less than fun.

MD
Level Contributor
694 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation in Normandy

It's better to plan a day ahead than wait till you get into town, especially if you'd be arriving in late afternoon.

As soon as you know where you'll be going the next day, start doing some research and make some phone calls. That should work except for weekends. We try to have our next weekend's accommodations pinned down early in the week. This works for us in September and October should be even easier.

Dryden, ON
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation in Normandy

Thanks for the good advice. It is very helpful

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation in Normandy

It also depends on the compulsion/anxiety level of all the members of your party. It also depends on how much time out of your travel you are willing to dedicate to looking for shelter each day. I, personally, find doing the research at home, without pressure, and with even a high degree of pleasure in ferreting out hidden treasures, much easier in the long run. DH would not be happy not knowing that he had a vetted roof each night.

N California
Level Contributor
505 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation in Normandy

It much depends on your personal travel style. Some folks get pretty anxious if they start out the day not knowing where they are going to spend the night (especially in a foreign country), while others find it a part of the adventure. I really like being able to adjust our itinerary if it turns out we really enjoy some new location and want to stay longer, or if the weather turns against us and we want to move on sooner. The price is that sometimes we end up with mediocre lodging for a night, or spend some time in the afternoon/evening chasing down a place to stay. I only do this when I have a car, though, as it gives a lot more flexibility in finding a place than when you are limited by public transportation.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 20:31
8. Re: Accomodation in Normandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 05:16