We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Normandy; traveling with a baby

Braintree...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Normandy; traveling with a baby

We plan to spend about 4.5 days in the Normandy region in April. We'll be traveling with our 7 month old daughter. I admit this trip is being done on the fly (we're visiting friends in Ozoir-la-Ferriere and have several free days while they're working) and I'm having trouble narrowing down our plans:

1. We would like to visit Omaha Beach and some of the WW2 Memorials

2. We would like to visit Monet's house

3. We would like to enjoy good cheese, local specialties, and just "unwind."

4. We would like to visit any "must-see" spots but we don't want to overdo it with baby in tow.

Can anyone recommend a good "home base" hotel that is baby-friendly? Should we rent a car or is public transport easily accessible? Where else are your "must-see" spots in Normandy?

Gouvix, France
Level Contributor
548 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Normandy; traveling with a baby

You do need a car. Most places are baby friendly - try checking out some of the many excellent b&b's as well

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,338 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Normandy; traveling with a baby

Your child is at the easiest age for travel until she is about 8. Get a backpack carrier and you can go pretty much anywhere and do anything. (ours were always totally content in the things where they would cry in a stroller -- in the backpack they would just nap on our shoulder -- I think they feel 'held' and enjoy being at eye level) You can see some of the places we went in Normandy last spring in my photo journal. All of them would be fine with a baby although I'd want to stay well away from the edge at the cliffs of Etretat if I had a kid on my back or in my arms. Definitely catch the Bayeux Tapestry if you can -- nice little town and the Tapestry is pretty amazing.

Have a great trip.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Braintree...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Normandy; traveling with a baby

Thank you; Would you suggest staying in Caen or Bayeux? (Or somewhere else?)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,713 posts
967 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Normandy; traveling with a baby

Bayeux is a nice town and is central to all the landing beaches (although it is about 120 miles from Giverny and Monet’s house). You may want to stop in Giverny on your way to the landing beaches and then continue onto Bayeux and use that as your home base.

5. Re: First time in Normandy; traveling with a baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 06:15