We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advance hotel reservations needed in August?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,952 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Advance hotel reservations needed in August?

I have about 5 days to drive from Honfleur to Bruges in late August. I'll have hotel reservations in Bruges for my arrival, but how easy is it to "wing it" and get accommodations for each night outside the big cities? My first night would probably be Rouen... should I have reservations here? Are the coastal regions harder to do this in than inland? (I'll also ask on the Belgium and Netherlands forums, of course.)

I have done this in spring in Brittany without problems, but was wondering if it's feasible at that time of year.

I would have a "target" area for each overnight, with a list of preferred accommodations, and would probably call ahead by the early afternoon to check availability and book. I wouldn't count on just turning up and wandering around aimlessly ;)

Thoughts or comments? (Thanks!)

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advance hotel reservations needed in August?

In August, yes, I'd have reservations, or at least a cell phone and a long list of places to call first thing every morning to secure a place for the night.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advance hotel reservations needed in August?

If you don't care for other than a clean bed, you probably don't need reservations. As last resort, one can usually find local lodging at the tourist office, assuming you hit town when the office is open. And what is available on short notice from their list may be meager. Point being, if you care at all about the quality of your lodging, booking ahead is always advised. (We are now booked for April/May as well as July/August)

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,952 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advance hotel reservations needed in August?

Oh, darn, I was afraid of that. Not what I wanted to hear, but better to know now so I can plan ahead, as I do care about the quality of where I stay (especially since I'm traveling solo). Just one more thing to plan!

So a related but separate question... at a VERY leisurely pace (we took a week to do the north and south coasts of Brittany), how many days from Honfleur to Bruges -- I have 5 nights planned (skipping Amsterdam).

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advance hotel reservations needed in August?

August is THE holiday month for the French.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advance hotel reservations needed in August?

And you can't really count on the local tourist office in August. It's about the only time I ever hear from ours and I've never yet had a room available. Obviously people doing as Mpilgrim has said but it certainly never works here!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advance hotel reservations needed in August?

From Honfleur to Bruges is probably less than a tenth of the Brittany coast line and I have no idea where Amsterdam comes into it unless you are planning to visit there after Bruges. Bear in mind that not only is August the main holiday month for people in France, it is also for those is Britain and elsewhere in northern Europe adding to pressure on a wide range of accommodation in the north of France as holidaymakers see an overnight stop on the ay to their destination or on the way home. Also the centenary of WW1 means that the number of people visiting the area will increase. As the overall distance is fairly short, you coud book a couple of nights at somewhere central and mae trips out from there, keeping flexibility as to where you actually go according to weather and how you feel.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advance hotel reservations needed in August?

I just made my reservations in Normandy for August, and I didn't get my first choice, second choice or third choice for any of the cities I started enquiring about. Book now! :-)

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,952 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advance hotel reservations needed in August?

Thanks, everyone. I'll definitely book in advance (hopefully I'll get places with no cancellation fee just in case I stumble into something wonderful). As of now, I'm looking at staying in Rouen, Saint-Valery-sur-Somme, ??, then 2 nights in Ostend for the sand castle festival (which I learned about on TripAdvisor). Thanks again.

9. Re: Advance hotel reservations needed in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 07:15