We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking experienced travel advice about the D Day landings

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking experienced travel advice about the D Day landings

I would be very grateful for advice from people who have extensive experience of the Normandy region, in particular the D Day landings and associated fighting that took place as the Allies moved inland. I will be visiting the area with my wife later this year for 4 days. I would like to build our own itinerary rather than take guided tours and would like to see as much as possible in a reasonably structured way. Recommendations of hotels and any must eat, see, go to places would also be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Peter Williams

Bayeux Shuttle Multimedia Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
OverlordTour
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Normandy44 Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Normandy Sightseeing Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Gouvix, France
Level Contributor
548 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking experienced travel advice about the D Day landings

You are asking a lot, the area is huge with many many "must sees". I suggest that you purchase a guide book (there is a recently published michelin guide to the D day beaches) and do some research of your own, then ask specific questions here.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,831 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking experienced travel advice about the D Day landings

The best guide would be Major & Mrs Holts Battlefield guide, for DIY tours...

http://www.guide-books.co.uk/normandy.html

Essex
Level Contributor
28,831 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking experienced travel advice about the D Day landings

As you are in London, visit Stanfords, you are bound to find great travel resources there...

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking experienced travel advice about the D Day landings

EW is right about Major and Mrs Holt. They offer itineraries to drive along, with detailed instructions and museums and monuments to visit en route.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking experienced travel advice about the D Day landings

Thanks everyone for your feedback much appreciated

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,390 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking experienced travel advice about the D Day landings

Take a guded tour to learn what it's all about then visit sites and museums on the other days

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking experienced travel advice about the D Day landings

We stayed at the Churchill Hotel in Bayeux. Not only was it a very nice place with wonderfully friendly staff, but the place is filled with pictures and memorabilia from the war. It is in a good location for seeing the D-Day beaches.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
1,059 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking experienced travel advice about the D Day landings

I agree with cpmac and recommend that you go on a guided tour on your first day and then tour on your own the other three days. Also, Bayeux is a great town to use as a base as it is pretty central to the western and eastern landing beaches (and it is also a nice little town). This town was liberated on June 7th and only sustained minor battle damage as no major battles were fought there.

Evreux, France
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking experienced travel advice about the D Day landings

A good starting point might be the D-Day pages on the Normandy Tourist Board website:

normandie-tourisme.fr/normandy-tourism/main-…

Bon voyage!

10. Re: Seeking experienced travel advice about the D Day landings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:19