We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Normandy or Brittany? Only 2 nites to be there!

Bastrop
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Normandy or Brittany? Only 2 nites to be there!

Horrible timing but all we have is 2 nights, 1.1-2 days. What can we see? Thx.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,229 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Normandy or Brittany? Only 2 nites to be there!

Where are you starting from? (Ease of transportation might be a factor in your decision.)

If you want WWII history, you have to do Normandy, and Bayeux is a good base from which to do that.

Otherwise, you could spend 1-2 nights at Mont Saint-Michel, which is a charming "island" with a beautiful monastery.

If this is soon, availability of accommodations may also be a factor.

Bastrop
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Normandy or Brittany? Only 2 nites to be there!

Oh thank you so much for your reply. I've been at this long enough to make my eyes bleed! Need to make reservations tomorrow, will be 60 days out. We're in Paris 3 days before and have Sunday and Monday nites before heading to Avignon to meet daughters on Tuesday morning. We can get a car in Paris and drop @ airport. In what city should we stay in order to see/do and still fly out to Marseille?

Bastrop
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Normandy or Brittany? Only 2 nites to be there!

2. Re: Normandy or Brittany? Only 2 nites to be there!

Aug 12, 2014, 8:18 PM

Oh thank you so much for your reply. I've been at this long enough to make my eyes bleed! Need to make reservations tomorrow, will be 60 days out. We're in Paris 3 days before and have Sunday and Monday nites before heading to Avignon to meet daughters on Tuesday morning. We can get a car in Paris and drop @ airport. In what city should we stay in order to see/do and still fly out to Marseille?

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,599 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Normandy or Brittany? Only 2 nites to be there!

If you are going to Avignon it is far better to take the train from Paris (2 hours 40 mins) than fly to Marseille & backtrack. www.capitainetrain.com is the site for tickets which go on sale 3 months before & then the fare rises.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,240 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Normandy or Brittany? Only 2 nites to be there!

What are "nites"?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Normandy or Brittany? Only 2 nites to be there!

Just a question really. Have you already seen Paris? I have to assume you have. If not I would see it first.

Planning my first trip from Paris to see Normandy, and I too am interested in Brittany. I do not see a post answering your question. Perhaps the first response that focused on your logistics stopped that thread?

And PS we all know that 'nites' means nights. Arrogance is not a kind trait.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 18:49
Essex
Level Contributor
28,240 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Normandy or Brittany? Only 2 nites to be there!

Apologies, afraid then that clearly unlike "we all" I asked for some clarification.

Where I work, some people spell Nits as Nites....

Just trying to ensure that no-one has a Lousy experience here!

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Normandy or Brittany? Only 2 nites to be there!

Depends really on your interests. What sort of things do you like doing/seeing? As Susan said, if WW2 is your thing then Bayeux in Normandy in your best bet. Ancient abbeys then Mont St Michel. Joan of Arc, then Rouen. Normandy and Brittany are vast areas. Tell us what your interests are and when you are going to be here and we may be able to help a little more.

Bastrop
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Normandy or Brittany? Only 2 nites to be there!

"Y'all" (sort of like "we all" but is a contraction of "you all") are so very kind to answer. This is the question: we have such limited time, I want to make the best of it. Therefore, assuming we drive from Paris and arrive around noon Sunday, what should we the rest of that day? MSM/Bayeux/WWII sites? Then, we have the whole of the next day (Monday) to see the other two sites. I have researched and see that sadly, that is all we can do in our limited time. My ? is the logistics of how to maximize the experience for those 3 sites, routing, etc. Then, leaving early Tues am to Avignon, is there an airport/flight that will take less time than the TGV? Thank you all again.

MD
Level Contributor
724 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Normandy or Brittany? Only 2 nites to be there!

I guess I should ask, are you wanting to see something specific? These are big areas, as Thiaumerie said, and there's a lot to see in both regions.

I suggest you use Viamichelin.com to plot where you would like to go and see how far apart these places are and how long it will take to drive between them.

If you really want to enjoy yourselves and see France at its best, take the scenic routes and avoid the autoroutes.

I've always known EssexWanderer to be a helpful and knowledgeable poster, never unkind. I didn't detect any arrogance in that question. I hope the OP didn't take offense because I'm sure none was intended.