We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mont St. Michel to Bayeux

south bend
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Topic
Mont St. Michel to Bayeux

Hello,

We are planning to spend 3 days based in Bayeux, with 2 for touring the D-Day sites and still up in the air. We would either like to spend the day driving through the countryside to places like Livarot, Pont L'eveque and Camembert, or we would like to see MSM. Can anyone share his/her preference?

Or, is it possible to leave very early from Bayeux, spend the first part of the day in MSM and still be able to drive the countryside and/or the Pont L'Eveque area? Is there a route from MSM back to Bayeux that you would recommend for seeing farms, local shops or small towns?

Thank you!

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,645 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mont St. Michel to Bayeux

I have done the cheese route twice and have visited Mont Saint-Michel several times but you would feel rushed attempting to do both in one day. Here are pictures of one of our trips along the cheese trail from exactly a year ago. As you can see, you must visit the cheese farms in the morning if you want to watch cheese being made.

http://tinyurl.com/dxu7bbz

Driving through Normandy is lovely but best enjoyed on a sunny day. If the weather is only so so then I would head to Mont Saint-Michel which is a must see no matter what the weather.

If you have time for both, start the day early touring the cheese trail so you can watch cheese production in the morning and enjoy Mont Saint-Michel in the evening once the crowds have left. But it is a 2 to 3-hour drive depending on where along the cheese route you leave from. If you can I would suggest spending the night on Mont St Michel or nearby so you can enjoy it at night. I am not sure how it will work with the new parking scheme staring April 28th though.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mont St. Michel to Bayeux

Don't miss MSM.

You can drive back through Huisnes (german ossuary), Pontaubailt (bridge captured by Patton's troops), Villedieu les poelles (bell foundry), St Lo, Balleroy chateau, Cerisy la foret (abbey), Norrey la poterie ( One big earthenware showroom). You wouldn't have time to visit ALL those places.

3. Re: Mont St. Michel to Bayeux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 18:17