We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants with english menus

London, United...
Level Contributor
471 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants with english menus

Im staying in Bayeux for a week. We dont speak very much french and are looking for any restaurents that have english menus and or have english speaking staff. We are staying at the churchill hotel and have somebody in a wheel chair. Can anyone help please.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants with english menus

I just answered your question in "4 days in Bayeux". There are plenty in Bayeux!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants with english menus

We were directed to a useful food glossary a couple of years ago by Tripadvisor member 'Shaken Bake'.

Have a look at - http://www.intimatefrance.com/glossary.html - and download the Food Glossary.

There can't be many, if any, things that you'd find in a French menu that aren't in the glossary.

It's well thumbed and well travelled pages have helped us decipher even the most comlex menus that we've encountered throughout France.

uk
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants with english menus

isnt that part of the experiance of travelling? how many places in the uk have multi language menus?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants with english menus

It may be part of the experience of travelling but I'd rather have at least a clue of what might arrive on my plate.

Having raw fish and raw meat instead cooked, frogs leg suprise and 'roo' meat instead of beef is now a thing of the past.

And now I enjoy ordering my meals in France with a little more confidence thanks to the food glossary.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants with english menus

If you don't speak French, do what the rest of the non-French speaking world does when they travel to France. Buy a dictionary and a phrase book with a good food section.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants with english menus

I really don't think that if Helen intends to eat in Bayeux she has to worry. I've never seen a restaurant there that doesn't have an English translation - sometimes they are a bit strange and I find it easier to read the French menu but at least she will be able to tell what meat/fish she's getting!

Alencon, France
Level Contributor
476 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants with english menus

If you don't want to be tied to restaurants catering for the tourist trade (outside the tourist traps not many places have an English translation) then Scribo's A-Z of Food

scribo.fr/buy-dictionnaire-gastronomique-fra…

is a brilliant Anglo-French dictionary of nothing but food and cookery terms - a regular pocket dictionary won't help with anything but the most basic stuff, this is the real deal. We keep a couple of copies of this for guests and loads of them have gone on to buy one for themselves. Wish I had a concession for it!

Edited: 26 March 2010, 13:03
Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants with english menus

You will have no problem making yourself understood in Bayeux restaurants.

Alencon, France
Level Contributor
476 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants with english menus

Partly but not entirely true, though I think I know what you mean!

Edited: 29 March 2010, 09:05
10. Re: Restaurants with english menus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2010, 05:16