We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More Info: Bayeux Hertz Rental Car Office

Which Bayeux hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
More Info: Bayeux Hertz Rental Car Office

FYI, the proprietor of our B&B (Le Relais de la Tour Louise) was gracious enough to call the Hertz office in Bayeux for me a few days ago, and he confirmed with the staff that they are open 7 days a week, from 8 AM to 9 PM each day. It's not within walking distance from the rail station, but there are apparently taxis at the station that can take you to the rental office.

I finally found the station on Google Street View-it is right next to a Citroen dealership on Rue de Cherbourg (D613), about 400m past a traffic circle and ~3 km NW of the Bayeux rail station on route D613. Street View clearly shows a Hertz logo on the Total petrol station signpost in front of the station, and there are a few cars in what looks like a small lot to the right of the main station. Here is the link to the map I made for this route:

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More Info: Bayeux Hertz Rental Car Office

I went to meet a group of four today to tour the D-day beaches in their vehicle which they rented at Hertz Bayeux. The car would only hold 4 so we had to use mine.

A copy paste from their mail to me. "Hertz crossed us up and only had a very small Fiat for rent. "

One should check with Bayeux what they can garantee before deciding to rent there.

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More Info: Bayeux Hertz Rental Car Office

Thank you for posting this. I had planned on taking a half day trip from Paris and picking up a tour of the Canadian D Day historical sites from the Bayeux train station. Unfortunately, I booked my train ticket prior to ensuring that the minimum number of people had booked the tour (which, it turns out, they hadn't - yet another lesson learned). But thanks to this info, I will be able to make my way to the sites I am longing to see.

I've prebooked the car at the Hertz location noted in webdweeb's post. Word up - all available cars I saw online are manual transmission. This may be standard (pun intended) in Europe - I'm not sure. I have not rented cars in Europe before.

Being cursed with an awful sense of direction, I can get lost at the drop of a hat, and I get nervous driving around in unfamiliar territory. I found the google map link really useful as it also helped me to plan my driving route for my Normandy visit.

Merci!!!

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More Info: Bayeux Hertz Rental Car Office

It's difficult to rent an automatic in France (especially at Bayeux)

You should have a GPS to take the stress out of getting around.

Have you tried another tour company?

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More Info: Bayeux Hertz Rental Car Office

Thanks cpmac

I don't mind the standard - actually prefer that to automatic. Just wanted to mention it for the record...

GPS is a good idea - I'm woefully uninformed about them. Do you know if they are global - if I was to purchase one in Canada will it work in France?

I did try a few tour companies, and individual guides but struck out on all fronts. Still searching though -

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More Info: Bayeux Hertz Rental Car Office

GPS devices-hardware, can be global, provided they have the required map-software, for the area you plan to visit.

They also indicate points of interest, fuel stations (very useful), parking places (even more useful) and we consider then as invaluable treasures whilst trying to our hotel in big cities!

I would suggest that you get one prior to the trip so to get used to it.

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More Info: Bayeux Hertz Rental Car Office

Thanks for the info. It makes good sense. I'll be shopping for one this weekend. :)

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More Info: Bayeux Hertz Rental Car Office

IMHO Tom Tom is the best. The most basic model does everything you need. You'll need a Europe map or France.

QLD
Level Contributor
110 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More Info: Bayeux Hertz Rental Car Office

I have just dropped my rental car back at the Bayeux Hertz this morning and I have to say we had no problems.We took a taxi from the hotel and when we returned the lady called us a taxi back to town. The car was ideal - a 4 door mid sized Citroen. I was not sure what to expect after reading some of the posts here but I would not hesitiate in recommending.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: More Info: Bayeux Hertz Rental Car Office

Greetings, Would anyone know approximately how many euros it would cost for a taxi from Le Relais de la Tour Louise to this Hertz location?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: More Info: Bayeux Hertz Rental Car Office

It's about 2km. Count on 2€ plus less than 2 per Km , about 6 Euros.

QLD: I've been into the office at Bayeux several times and allways found the staff very help full. The downside of actually renting at Bayeux is that have less choice, like if you must have an automatic.

Hertz has advantage over the other international renters in the case that you take a guide and would like him/her to drive. It takes 10 minutes to pop into the office to add a driver to the contract, even if you rented in another town. it would take 2 hours to deviate to the other renters offices in Caen.

Get answers to your questions about Bayeux