We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant choices - Dinner

Blairsville, Georgia
Level Contributor
92 posts
266 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant choices - Dinner

Two adults in Bayeux - May 2012 - Five nights - Staying in Old Town area

In my pre-planning research I have noticed that the majority of the dinner restaurants open around 7 PM. This is late for us and we would like to dine earlier - 6 ish. In the Old Town area, does anyone know of restaurants open earlier?

Also, is it frowned upon in the Bayeux restaurants to just order one or two items (soup, salad, cheese/bread OR dessert)? Would rather not be locked into the "pre-fix" menu.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
SoCal
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant choices - Dinner

Restaurants in France (and most of the continent, for that matter) don't typically open until 7 PM, so you may have to eat at a cafe. The Reine Mathilde Hotel (23 rue Larcher) has an "always open" cafe/brasserie that serves from morning until early evening, which is one option you could consider-we had a nice lunch there on our Bayeux sightseeing day a few weeks ago. It also has an outdoor area that is delightful on a sunny day. There are undoubtedly other cafes or brasseries in Bayeux-hopefully some of the regulars can chime in and suggest a few more.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Hotel Reine Mathilde
Hotel Reine Mathilde
1,557 Reviews
Bayeux, France
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
So Cal
Level Contributor
401 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant choices - Dinner

But if you change your mind, and would like the names of a couple really wonderful restaurants that do open for dinner a bit later (7pm or later) we were just there and we can tell you about them! I don't usually like to eat late either, but I adjusted after we got to France and had some great meals.

No you do not have to always order from the price-fix menu. I think that all of the menus I saw had one or two price fix options, and also a la carte.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,477 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant choices - Dinner

McDonalds is open all the time. LOL

Seriously, a place labelled Brasserie normally serves food (snacks) all day, but the owner might have decided to stop doing so without changing the sign out side. There's a brasserie in the main street on the corner opposite the Lion d'Or; 'Le sulky".

You can order separate items in a restaurant, but look at the à la carte part of the menu. If you point to an item in a set menu, that can cause problems as the items or not allways available "à la carte". A starter salad can be a good size meal, or a few leaves of lettuce and diced vegetables. It depends on the restaurant. More expensive restaurants tend to have more scant but beautifully presented starters.

Mentioned in this post
Lion d'Or
Lion d'Or
288 Reviews
Bayeux, France
Blairsville, Georgia
Level Contributor
92 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant choices - Dinner

Thank you all !!

webdweeb - we are actually staying very very close to The Reine Mathilde Hotel so will be able to check out the menu there. We will be in Bayeux in mid-May so hopefully we will be able to enjoy the outside area and I have read that they do have out door heaters .......how nice.

mrswebdweeb - I have see many favorable reviews for the following restaurants - Le Petit Bordelais on rue Marechal Foch, La Rapiere on rue Saint Jean and also La Fringale on rue Saint Jean. Did you happen to go to either of these restaurants? Comments please if you did.

cpmac - I don't eat at McDonalds here in the States why would I come to France to eat at one ..........LOL to you too

Knowing the name of the place "Brasserie" is going to be a huge help. Thanks. Le Sulky is also very close to where we are staying so we will check it out also.

And the WONDERFUL advise on pointing to the correct item in the correct section of the menu I'm sure will be used by me. What a simple solution to hopefully not add to the confusion of ordering.

One dish I already know I want to try for sure is Poulet Valiee d'Auge - hope I said it correctly. Chicken, mushrooms, cream, and cider I think. Sounds yummy !!! Any suggestions for a restaurant in downtown Bayeux that does this dish well?

Thanks to all again. I'm sure between now and next May I will have many more questions.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Reine Mathilde
Hotel Reine Mathilde
1,557 Reviews
Bayeux, France
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
La Rapiere
La Rapiere
1,210 Reviews
Bayeux, France
La Fringale
La Fringale
397 Reviews
Bayeux, France
France
France
Europe
So Cal
Level Contributor
401 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant choices - Dinner

My husband will probably answer this as well. La Rapiere was one of our favorite restaurants of the whole trip (Paris included!) We actually ate there twice. The service was most gracious, warm,and professional, and the food (everything!) was delicious. The atmosphere was perfectly comfortable - kind of casual elegance. I'm sad to say I did not write details in my journal about what we ate, but I recall that throughout our trip, we both kept reminiscing fondly about our meals at La Rapiere. Please go enjoy a meal there and tell them how much we appreciated them! You will need reservations.

Mentioned in this post
La Rapiere
La Rapiere
1,210 Reviews
Bayeux, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
SoCal
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant choices - Dinner

La Rapiere is one of the best restaurants I have dined at anywhere (see my raves about it in my trip report)-the food, service and ambiance were as close to perfect as I have experienced at any restaurants I have visited, and I have been to some great ones here in the US, in the UK and in Italy. I am not familiar with Le Petit Bordelais, but our other favorite restaurant was Le P'tit Resto, which is directly across the street from the Bayeux cathedral and was as good as La Rapiere. Their style is very different and more "modern", but the preparation and quality of the food, as well as the service, were top notch. La Fringale was a disappointment, food-wise (service was excellent), and not in the same league as the other two (I ordered the lamb recommended by the waitress, which was stringy and overcooked, and my escargot were cinders when served), which was an unpleasant surprise given the glowing reviews on TA.

Having said all that, keep in mind that this is the one and only time we have visited Bayeux, so mix our recommendations with those of others with more experience with the Bayeux food scene so you get an objective view.

I must say that, for such a small town, Bayeux has an amazing selection of fine dining-I can't wait to return. Even the mediocre restaurants were better than their equivalents in Paris, and the hole in my wallet was much smaller. Be sure to post your experiences wherever you decide to go. Bon appetit!

Mentioned in this post
La Rapiere
La Rapiere
1,210 Reviews
Bayeux, France
Italy
Italy
Europe
Le P'tit Resto
Le P'tit Resto
359 Reviews
Bayeux, France
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
La Fringale
La Fringale
397 Reviews
Bayeux, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,477 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant choices - Dinner

I was recently with some people who stayed a few days in Bayeux. They ate at La Frnigale, La Rapière and La Colline d'Enzo. They found La Colline d'Enzo even better than the Rapière.

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Blairsville, Georgia
Level Contributor
92 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant choices - Dinner

Thank you all again for the very detailed and informative reviews. With so many choices of excellant restaurants in Bayeux it will be hard to choose. We will only have five evenings in Bayeux but will definately have a few evening meals at a later than usual time for us, just to experience some great meals. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Port-en-Bessin-Huppa...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant choices - Dinner

I think you'll find it worthwhile taking the later option. The places that serve all day are OK but don't compare to the others, where you should get a very memorable meal. I can still remember the menu from my first visit to La Rapiere some 15 years ago.

Mentioned in this post
La Rapiere
La Rapiere
1,210 Reviews
Bayeux, France
Walpole...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant choices - Dinner

This thread was great to find. My wife and I will also be in Bayeux in May and look forward to some great food!

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France