We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bayeau or Caen

Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Topic
Bayeau or Caen

Hello, is it better to stay in bayeau or Caen. We will take a train from paris and not have a car. Planing full day private guide for American invasion tour, but will want to go to Caen to visit memorial museum and fortress of wm conqueror. How can we get there. Might also go to MSM. I thought our itinerary might look like this

Day 1. Train and just relax after flight.

Day 2 full day American invasion

Day 3 Caen city sights

Day 4 ???? Suggestions?

Day 5 return to paris

All help is appreciated

Thanks

Babo

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bayeau or Caen

Caen got blown to smithereens in WWII. Bayeux did not. While Caen has some noteworthy attractions, particularly the Mémorial Museum, Bayeux is a far prettier place. It will be hard to see all the DDay invasion sites in one day, even a long day. And you haven't mentioned the Bayeux tapestry or cathedral, both of which merit a visit, so you really don't need to fill in that 4th day.

Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bayeau or Caen

I haven't been to Caen so I can't offer an opinion on that city. We did stay in Bayeux for three nights and highly recommend it for your base. There is plenty to see there and you can get an number of tours starting from there. It is just a pleasant village to wander around

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bayeau or Caen

Although Caen was severely damaged after the D-Day invasion, because it was strategically important, many important buildings remained such as the castle, the Abbaye les Hommes and the Abbaye les Dames.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bayeau or Caen

If the presence of the museum in Caen is a factor in your choice between Caen and Bayeux, here's some information you should know. The Caen museum focuses on the horror of war and the need for peace. The museum is well done and few would argue with that point of view, but the museum has little to do with explaining the events of the region on D-Day and afterwards. The museum might as well be anywhere in France.

Bayeux's tapestry is a 1000 year old artifact depicting the history of the Norman Conquest . Great audio guide commentary. If you miss some details the first time through the line, don't worry. Simply go to the check in desk and ask for a new audio guide. The staff will hand you a new guide set at the starting point and you can go through again. On my repeat walk, I picked up many details I had not spotted the first time through.

5. Re: Bayeau or Caen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 05:16