We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Bayeux

Swedesboro, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Bayeux

Six of us will be traveling from London to Bayeux on June 24, 2007 to visit the D-Day sites. Can anyone give suggestions on travel? Eurostart or ferry? Specifics on how to reach Bayeux. Hotel recommendations? How about D-Day tours? Battlebus or others? After 2 days in the D-Day area we will be traveling on to Paris. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Bayeux

You might want to check into ferries to either Caen, Le Havre or Cherbourg. (www.brittany-ferries.com) Taking a ferry will require taking a train to Portsmouth and you would probably need to rent a car at the ferry terminal on the French side.

Another option is the Eurostar to Paris and a train from Paris to Bayeux. If you are going to spend 2 days there, you may want to take an organized tour the first day and then go back to specific places on your own for the second day.

Alençon
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Bayeux

To travel in France you will best use a car - a Zafira 7-seat is rentable from Hertz in advance to collect at the port. I hire a Zafira 9 days 310€. But not much room for baggages with 6 passangers.

Alençon
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Bayeux

To drive in Paris is not a pleasing experience!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Bayeux

I am doing this un June 07 also..........the ferry cost, the train fare to Portsmouth, the 5 hour ferry trip, the having to rent a car to Bayeux and starting at 6am and getting to Bayeux by 5 pm did nort sound like a fun day... The train was about $75 pp, ferry $ 30, , the rental car $75 a day with tax and ins.... thats $180 which is $50 more and 3 hours slower than the train/ferry . The high speed ferrys run only on the weekends I found.

I choose to leave on eurostar from Waterloo sta..at 7am, getting to Bayeux by 2:30 via a change in Paris..( 128$ pp ) _

The hotel Churchill is the closest and cab fare costs 9 Euro, Hotel rooms run about 136 E a night.. Furthur, it is next door to the pickup site for Battelbus tours, next to tons of restauraunts.. and I wont need a car. Read the reviews on it.... and I wont need a car at all. I plan on doing a 3day or 4 day stay.

You better make reservations for a room because as of last week there were very few left at any place

los angeles
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Bayeux

We just got back from our trip and Bayeux was one of our favorite parts. We took the train from Paris (2 hours - look for the route from Paris to Cherbourg and make sure that it stops in Bayeux) and got there at about 8:30 pm. You can pretty much walk from the train station to anywhere in town. It is very small. And when we got there we the streets were so quiet we felt we had to whisper.

We had only planned to stay for one day but loved the town so much we stayed for 2.

We stayed at Le Petit Matin (see my review)

We took the Overlord Tour (1/2 day of Omaha beaches, 1/2 day Band of Brothers tour)

We ate at Le Pommier (one of the top 5 meals we have ever had)

and we loved the Church there. (The outside is more beautiful than Notre Dame in my opinion)

Hope these suggestion help.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Bayeux

Just saw your message on Tripadvisor and we just returned from the same adventure. We took the Ferry from Portsmouth, the 6 hour journey was long and for us, without a car, getting to Bayeux was more difficult than the train would have been. The Ferry port is about 10 miles from Caen and Caen is about 40 minutes from Bayeux. The train goes from Caen to Bayeux, but not to the Ferry port. The train from London will take you to Paris where you will need to change stations, but even with that, the train from Paris goes through Bayeux on its run to Cherbourg many times a day so there is mor flexibility. Also, we arrived on the 10:00 pm ferry and had to arrange a taxi to Bayeux privately, very expensive. When you get to Bayeux, do the Battlebus tour and if you even have a smidgen of interest in D-day, take one of the two day tours (we did the American Experience Two day tour and it was one of the most memorable experience of our lives). Paul Woodadge was awesome and his detail and ability to tell the story from the point of view of individual veterans was incredible. Bayeux is also a wonderful little town with lots of charm so plan time to walk around and explore a bit. good luck, Lisa and Joe

cya
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Bayeux

We returned from Normandy this Sept. We took the train from Paris to Rouen and then drove a rental car to Honfleur, Bayeux, MSM and Caen.

Bayeux was our favorite of the places we stayed. Charming, lots to see and do. We used Victory Tours as it was mentioned by travel show host Rick Steves. As my wife only had moderate interest we just took a half day tour. Tour guide Roel was wonderful, informative and entertaining. His half day tour was more like 3/4 of a day. We felt the tour was excellent and couldn't imagine a better experience.

3 of us stayed at a charming B&B Logis des Ramparts. Beautiful charming place. They also own a Calvados shop next door where breakfast is served, talk about atmosphere. We can highly recommend both the tour and les Ramparts.

cya

Swedesboro, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Bayeux

Thank you to all who offered help on this topic!

Houston
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Bayeux

I am planning on taking the same trip from Waterloo to Bayeux. Does anyone know how much time I should allow inbetween the ride into Paris Nord and out of Paris Lazare? Also, is much time needed to change trains in Caen to Bayeux? I don't think we will make the one direct journey.

Thank you!

Huckie

Normandy
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Bayeux

Hi Huckie

Check out this web site - it is the english version for all train times and costs in France.

http://www.sncf.co.uk/

Get answers to your questions about Bayeux