We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Normandy Beach Tours - HELP!

Which Caen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Normandy Beach Tours - HELP!

Hello,

A couple of friends and I are doing a day drip from Paris to Normandy. The best train's I could get were arriving in Normandy from Paris at 8:57am at Caen. Leaving Caen at 6:57pm.

THe main highlights that I want to see is the American Cemetery and walk on Omaha Beach. I know we can most likely do this ourselves, but would like to see other things as we have all day and it's always best to hear the stories and history as you're seeing everything. What is the best tour? I've tried Viator Tours - but their tour times aren't that great with when we arrive. I found one half day tour but it takes you back to Bayeux train station at 6pm and I'm worried i'm cutting it close to catch our train back from Caen. Lastly, it needs to be affordable. Nothing over $150 per person. Preferrably cheaper.

Need advice! :(

No. California
Level Contributor
309 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Normandy Beach Tours - HELP!

I just got through researching tours and booking. We were going to do a day tour from Paris also but after a lot of research realized it would be better to be in the area the night before and maybe spend several days. We wanted to see all the sights and also visit the museum in Caen and could not find a day trip that would do it all. Why don't you look at Overlordtour.com. They do have one tour that is specifically designed for those arriving from Paris the morning of the tour. Linkparis.com has a tour designed for the earliest train arriving from Paris. Several others had tours by bus from Paris but bus will eat up even more of the time you will have in the area. We ended up deciding to spend 2 nights in Caen and doing a full day tour with overlordtour. This will allow us to visit and spend as much time as we want on the day we arrive and then the tour the next day. I think you will also like Overlords prices.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Normandy Beach Tours - HELP!

Thank you! I've reached out to a ton of tours at this point and every tour guide seems to booked for May 30th. It probably would have been best to go night before but unfortunately we're only in Paris for 2 and half day's and have the 30th saved for Normandy only. It sounds like i'm going to have to do Normanday ourselves and not through a tour which is really upsetting :(

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
4,846 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Normandy Beach Tours - HELP!

Bonjour, Hails55,

According to the Capitaine website, there is a train leaving Bayeux at 18:29, arriving in Caen at 18:46. The Caen station is not huge, so you should be able to make the connection. If you take the train from Caen to Bayeux, you'll have time to check out the station.

https://www.capitainetrain.com/search/

While you are in Bayeux, you'll be able to see the Bayeux Tapestry and the cathedral.

MrsJAS

MrsJAS

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Normandy Beach Tours - HELP!

Thank you MRSJAS.

Still makes me nervous with only a few minutes to catch our train. If we were to miss our train, are we able to hop on the next one? Or does it not work like that in France. (I'm from New york and used to being able to hop on trains when needed)

Thank you again for your help!

Hayley

Edited: 06 May 2014, 18:46
No. California
Level Contributor
309 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Normandy Beach Tours - HELP!

Since we are staying in Caen I was a little concerned about Caen-Bayeux connections also because I was having trouble navigating the french train sites, which I know is my problem, not the sites. Since we are going to Switzerland from Caen I decided to check the swiss site which I have used before and find very easy to use (works well for my simple brain I guess!) Just for kicks I put in Caen to Bayeaux and found the answers I needed. If nothing else it would confirm what Mr. & Mrs. JAS (love their picture) has told you and I would go with whatever advise they give as they seem to be local experts. The Swiss site I use is: sbb.ch and you can bring up in english. If you were to do a tour designed to leave from Paris by train I would feel very sure that they would see that you got back on time to make the connection from Caen to Paris. I guess your problem really is that you cannot find a tour open that day. Well, good luck. Visiting Normandy is a real priority for us and would be very disappointed if it had not worked out. We are not going until September so did have a little more flexibility in planning.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Normandy Beach Tours - HELP!

Thanks, Readinredding! There is one tour that we culd make work. It is a half day tour from Bayeux that leaves at 1pm and arrives back at the Bayeux train station by 6pm. It just concerns me if the tour happens to get back a little late and we miss train from Bayeux back to caen which in turn makes us miss our train from Caen back to Paris.

It would ease my mind if by some chance we do miss the train, we are able to just hop on the later train :( Ahhh stressful lol. Thank you both though. This is VERY helpful information. Either way i am DEFINITELY going to Normandy. I just wish i was able to find a meaningful tour that fit the times.

C'est la vie :)

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Normandy Beach Tours - HELP!

Unless i'm mistaken the trainfeom Bayeux goes to Paris with no change.

The best plan is to take the train to Carentan which arrives at 9:36. Take a private tour which will cost three of you a little more than 150$ Each and be left at Bayeux for the evening tarin.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 23:08
Bellflower...
Level Contributor
4,846 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Normandy Beach Tours - HELP!

Hails55,

CPMac is correct. There is a direct train. I had an "aha" moment and realized that I was looking at a Bayex>Caen route for reply #3. When I entered Bayeux>Paris on 5/30, I found a direct train leaving Bayeux at 18:39 to Paris.

http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ (Use Antartic as the ticket collection country)

https://www.capitainetrain.com/search/

BTW, I am no way a local expert (I laughed when I read that statement). I just like helping and I answer questions only that have to do where I have been or have done.

I hope that you get to see more of Normandy on subsequent trips. Here is a blog that may whet your appetite for future trips to the area:

janettravels.wordpress.com/category/normandy/

Please return to the forum to let people know how the trip worked out and name the company.

MrsJAS

No. California
Level Contributor
309 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Normandy Beach Tours - HELP!

Mrs. Jas-I had looked at all your post history and just assumed you were living in France. I just looked again and realized you are a California "girl" like myself. Well, no matter, I am sure you must have a lot more knowledge of the area than I since this is our first visit to France. I was just offering what I had found on the Normandy tours since I had spent the last week researching. I am doing a little better at navigating around the French train schedule sites so think we will be OK. We will be arriving in Caen from Paris, then to Bayeux and back and then return to Paris and on to Basel, Switzerland, so by the time we have managed that I guess I will be a little more comfortable with France's train system. I can't imagine planning a trip without Tripadvisor.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
4,846 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Normandy Beach Tours - HELP!

bonjour, Readyinredding,

I sent you a private message.

MrsJAS