We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Cherbourg

Preston
Level Contributor
251 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
A day in Cherbourg

We are in Cherbourg for a day towards the end of a cruise and are looking for suggestions as to what to see there. We like history, galleries, etc. Not shopping!!!

Essex
Level Contributor
28,842 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Cherbourg

http://www.cherbourgtourism.com/

There is a submarine you can visit, amongst other things.....

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Cherbourg

I have the same question. Cherbourg would be our last port, and we are trying to determine if there would be enough to do in the area (low-cost) without having to take a tour from the cruise ship (which is often pricey and not a good use of time). We are open to taking transit to other areas, if it is convenient and inexpensive.

Preston
Level Contributor
251 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Cherbourg

I checked the website and there is stuff to do in this historic town.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day in Cherbourg

I`m going to Cherbourg next month. Brittany Ferries has a big deal -- 2 people for £23 return from Portsmouth. We will arrive @ 1pm and will departure @5pm same day. So, for 4 hours altogether we will have time to visit La Cite de la Mare only and to buy some bottles of wine from Cave Marcel - the wine shop. I thought to visit a nice park called Parc Emmanuël Liais, but it`s too far away, so will skip it. I checked the website and to be honest I don`t understand anything from wines and ect. I think to ask for an advice the staff and to buy on reasonable prices.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,390 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day in Cherbourg

At Cherbourg there's the cite de la mer, the nuclear submarine, fort de la roule ( used as a fortress by the germans in the war and now a museum about the liberation).

TRying to get anywhere by public transport would be a far less usefull spending of your time thana shps excursion.

You could rent a car and go east to <barfleur, St Vaast la hougue Tatihou, Val de saire. Or go west to the home of Francois Millet the painter, the manor where Polanskys film Tess of the Durville was filmed and a rugged coastline.

Renting at Cherbourg is a bit more complicated than at Le Havre. National Citer have a desk there if the manageress of the agency thinks it's going to be worth while. Otherwise they have an office in town. There's also Hertz and France car.

Kenneth: you look a bit young to be out on your own. :-)

Edited: 23 June 2013, 17:09
Preston
Level Contributor
251 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day in Cherbourg

Thanks. Nice comment about age. I'm actually 60 but wearing well don't you think?

Évreux...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A day in Cherbourg

Here are a few suggestions for your visit from the Normandy Tourist Board:

normandie-tourisme.fr/articles/cherbourg-322…

Bon voyage!

8. Re: A day in Cherbourg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 09:18
Get answers to your questions about Cherbourg-Octeville