We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honfleur to Bayeux and return same day/Tapesty visit

Houston
Level Contributor
178 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Honfleur to Bayeux and return same day/Tapesty visit

Can anyone give me detailed instructions for going by bus and or train to Bayeux from Honfleur and back. We are in Honfleur for 2 days and want to take public transportion to see the Tapestry in Bayeux. We have been to Honfleur before so I know where the bus station is right near the harbor.

A bus might be easier if we can go all the way on the same bus.

I know we will have to change buses or trains in most cases Really don't care which option, but we must go on a Saturday, and I think some buses don't run then? When I look at bus schedules, they are early and late only which might work, but we need to have at least 4+ hours in Bayeux and hopefully be back in Honfluer by 8PM?

A bus to nearby Deauville and train via Lisieux would work perhaps? But I need schedules. It is for August, during the peak holiday in France.

I only see Saturday trains at 18:10 in the evening, which won't work. If there is only 1 train per day we won't be able to use the train?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce4fun

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,844 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honfleur to Bayeux and return same day/Tapesty visit

You may already have the websites but you can work out the various bus and/or train bus combos using the local bus website www.busverts.fr and the train website www.voyages-sncf.com. If you use the English language version of this website you may have to enter Great Britain or Antarctic as your ticket collection country to avoid being redirected to the RailEurope. Other countries may also work but just try to find a country that doesn't get you redirected to RailEurope. The RailEurope website often doesn't show all the trains and generally has higher prices but you can check just to compare. For trains that require reservations (TGV trains and some Intercités trains but not the local TER trains) you can buy tickets up to 3 months or more in advance and the earlier you buy them the cheaper they will be. The discounted tickets are known as PREM tickets but these are non-refundable and can't be exchanged.

Here is a website that will tell you how to navigate the SNCF website:

www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

The train from Deauville with changes in Lisieux and Caen may be your best option. if you have difficulty finding buses on a Saturday from Honfleur to Deauville and back you can always take a cab.

Houston
Level Contributor
178 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honfleur to Bayeux and return same day/Tapesty visit

Thanks for the info. I have bought SNCF tickets before, the trouble I am having is it seems to show only 1 train per day in the evening only. And then only 1 the next day for return? This does not seem right?

Having trouble with the bus schedule too!

Thanks,

Bruce

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,844 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honfleur to Bayeux and return same day/Tapesty visit

If you would provide a specific date you are looking at that would be helpful. And also explain what specific difficulties you are having with the websites so people might advise how to help.

Houston
Level Contributor
178 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honfleur to Bayeux and return same day/Tapesty visit

August 31 Saturday. Wish to depart Honfleur about 8:30AM and return early afternoon around 3PM from Bayeux.

Thanks,

Bruce4fun

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,844 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honfleur to Bayeux and return same day/Tapesty visit

That is the problem. The train schedules aren't available more than 3 months in advance so you'll need to wait a bit before you can check train schedules. The bus schedules aren't available more than 1 month in advance. August 31st is a Saturday so try searching Saturday's for a date in the near future and you should get a rough idea of what your schedule will be like.

Georgia
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honfleur to Bayeux and return same day/Tapesty visit

I am looking at doing something similar next year in June. I just put in some dates for next weekend using the train link above just to get an idea of trains and schedules. It looks like it is 3+ hours from Honfleur to Bayeux with several train changes. Is this correct or am I missing something. This does not look like a feasible option at this point. Thanks!

Houston
Level Contributor
178 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honfleur to Bayeux and return same day/Tapesty visit

We did it not a problem. It is better to take the bus from Honfleur to Caen, then the 15 minute train ride from Caen to Bayeux. You may also take the bus the entire way, but service to Bayeux is limited.

We left in the morning and were back in Honfleur by about 5PM.

The bus is busverts company. There is also an express bus, but it only goes about 2 times per day.

I hope this helps?

Bruce

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,844 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honfleur to Bayeux and return same day/Tapesty visit

Edited to say you've got your answer.

Edited: 17 October 2013, 21:08
Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honfleur to Bayeux and return same day/Tapesty visit

Have you thought of renting a car. It would make it so much easier and you could see so much more.

10. Re: Honfleur to Bayeux and return same day/Tapesty visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2014, 05:17