We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday, Sept. 1 in Honfleur?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday, Sept. 1 in Honfleur?

My buddy and I are doing a history tour of the D-Day beaches, and have a free day on Sunday, Sept. 1. We are pondering a day trip from Bayeux where we are staying, to Honfleur.

How crowded will Honfleur be on that particular Sunday? (In the U.S., it's a holiday weekend, so we wonder if we are biting off something that will be too crowded to enjoy such as the old port section...)

How difficult will it be to find day parking for our car near the old port section?

How early would you recommend arriving in Honfleur on that day in order to "beat the crowds" if indeed it will be very busy?

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Edited: 20 August 2013, 00:27
Essex
Level Contributor
28,571 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday, Sept. 1 in Honfleur?

There is a big Public Car Park on the Rue des Vases (pay to park). It is a relatively short walk to The Old port from there, and Honfleur is small and reasonably walkable, anyway.

No idea what Sun 1st will be like, don't know if it is Public Hol in France.

Might be busy though if sunny day, Honfleur always popular...

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday, Sept. 1 in Honfleur?

There is no holiday in France on September 1. They don't typically celebrate our national holidays; nor do we celebrate theirs. But Honfleur is always popular, so probably the earlier you get there, the better.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday, Sept. 1 in Honfleur?

Sundays are always busy in Honfleur because it's do-able in a day from Paris but the crowds won't be THAT bad and as the French will have just returned from their August holidays it may even be slightly less crowded than later in the month!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday, Sept. 1 in Honfleur?

Merci, Thiaumerie, that's the key piece of information I was seeking! I wondered if the French "August holidays" would stretch all the way into Sunday, Sept. 1....or if a lot of folks would have gone home prior to that day/weekend.

5. Re: Sunday, Sept. 1 in Honfleur?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 07:18