We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Havre to Paris - Train or bus?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Le Havre to Paris - Train or bus?

Our cruise will be ending in Le Harve and our return flight to the US leaves from CDG. Is there a direct train from Le Harve to CDG? The cruise line provides a bus directly to the airport, but it is a $100 per person and there are three of us. I looked at the train schedule and it looks like three can go first class unrestricted for $189. But it says the train goes to St. Lazarre - how would we get from there to CDG and how much of a hassle is it with luggage, etc?

Also, where in Paris do the cruise ships depart (Viking) and is it better to take the bus provided by the cruise line $50 per person to the boat or catch a train? If a train is preferred, what line/stop and how far of a walk with luggage to the boat would it be?

Anyone recommend a good hotel in Le Havre?

Thanks

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Le Havre to Paris - Train or bus?

It would help if I knew what dates we are talking about, but since I don't...

IMO second class is adequately comfortable for this trip if you travel by train. It is not that long and the difference in comfort is no tthat great. Advance purchase one way second class tickets between Le Havre and Paris cost as little as 15€, first class 25€. Full fare fully refundable one way tickets are ~27€ in second, ~41€, but these prices will be discounted if you book RT tickets and if there are two or more of you travelling together. These are the fares you will find if you book your travel direct on the SNCF (French rail) site www.voyages-sncf.com following this excellent "how to" guide by MorganB: http://tinyurl.com/qpdef

From Gare St. Lazare to CDG you have a couple of public transport options involving one combination or another of bus, métro and RER (suburban light rail). All of these are reasonably easy with limited luggage and assuming no mobility issues, a bit of a hassle otherwise. A taxi from the station would probably cost about 40€-45€.

I am not at all clear what you are asking in your second paragraph. Cruise ships do not depart from Paris so I have no idea quite where the bus provided by the cruise line is leaving from or where it is taking you. Can you clarify?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Le Havre to Paris - Train or bus?

Thank you Irish. This is a Seine River Boat cruise on the Viking Line. According to the itinerary it departs from Paris. It is a small ship, not a large ocean liner type of vessel. In fact, the first day of the cruise is visiting Paris, so I am assuming the ship is somewhere on the Seine in Paris.

The bus would be leaving from CDG taking passengers to the ship.

How long of a RER / subway ride is it from St. Lazare to CDG and would that be an additional charge or already included in the cost of the train from Le Havre. When i went on the rail Europe site, I put our destination as CDG and I am wondering if it priced it accordingly.

I hope this clarifies what I was asking. Thanks for your help.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Le Havre to Paris - Train or bus?

That makes things a lot clearer! I do not know where the departure point for the cruise might be though I suspect it is not in cerntral Paris. Do you have a web site for the Viking cruises? Perhaps I could figure it out from there. Or could you email them and ask them to let you know the exact departutre point telling them you would prefer to join the boat independently?

The métro/RER connection from St. Lazare to CDG would take about 45 minutes and costs 8€10. There is a bus from Opéra, within walking distance of St. Lazare if you are travelling light, That costs 8€50 IIRC and would probably take about the same time — plus a 10-15 minute walk.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Le Havre to Paris - Train or bus?

Irish, Thanks again for your reply and your assistance.

The boat is docked / departs from Quai DeGrenelle. Does that mean anything to you or help? Is that in the heart of Paris or off the beaten track? Is it accessible by train from CDG?

I was in Paris in November and am "somewhat " familar with the city, but I did not come across Qua DeGrenelle.

Thanks.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Le Havre to Paris - Train or bus?

Quai de Grenelle is just downstream from the Eiffel Tower. If you are familiar with the Paris transport sytem, quai de Grenelle is basically between the Champ de Mars/Tour Eiffel station and the Javel station on Line C of the RER. You could get to those stations quite easily from CDG by taking Line B of the RER to St Michel/Notre Dame and then changing to Line C Direction St. Quentin-en-Yvelines/Versailles Rive Gauche. Cost 8€10. WARNING: When you change at St. M/N.D. do NOT take a train heading in Direction Versailles CHANTIERS or you will be a very unhappy man! Javel is four stops from St. Michel, CdeM/TE three.

www.ratp.fr

Try finding quai de Grenelle on mappy.com

Good luck!

Level Contributor
653 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Le Havre to Paris - Train or bus?

When you arrive in Paris, get in a taxi and go to the ship. That should cost about $50 for the 3 of you, depending on the traffic. It is much, much easier after an overseas flight and with luggage and 3 people, it'll be hassle-free. Leaving Le Havre, take the train (about 2 hours) to central Paris (which is where Lazare is) and then take a taxi to the airport. Humping luggage from trains to metros is a nightmare/major headache - there are no porters and no luggage trolleys. I assume that you are leaving France on a flight the same day the ship docks - better to spend at least one night in Paris in each direction.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Le Havre to Paris - Train or bus?

Thanks for the replies. Good advice. Any suggestions for a hotel in Le Havre? I am traveling with my wife and our 13 year old daughter. We are in our forties and in good health.

Any suggested attractions/restaraunts we should visit in Le Havre?

Thanks.

Get answers to your questions about Le Havre