We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Honfleur and Rouen from Le Havre in One Day?

Which Le Havre hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Honfleur and Rouen from Le Havre in One Day?

We will be on a cruise ship in September that docks in Le Havre. We want to explore the Normandy region, and would like to visit Rouen and Honfleur given that they are both reasonably close to Le Havre. Is it possible to get to both of these locations using public transport (train or bus) on a weekday? The ship is docked for 13 hours so we can realistically expect to have 12 hours (at most) to explore. We realize that this would be a rapid pace and we are comfortable with that, as long as we could spend several hours in each city.

If seeing both cities would not be possible, which would be more highly recommended? Honfleur looks beautiful, but I would love to see the Rouen Cathedral in person after viewing Monet's versions.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,175 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Honfleur and Rouen from Le Havre in One Day?

You can take the train from Le Havre to Rouen.

You "could" take a bus from Le Havre to Honfleur, but they are few and far between

I do not think it is going to be possible, by public transport, to visit both in the same day.

Pick Rouen...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Honfleur and Rouen from Le Havre in One Day?

EssexWanderer, thank you for your advice. I have googling combinations of these cities and have come across posts on other forums that seem to say the same thing about the buses to and from Honfleur. It is too bad because Honfleur is so close to Le Havre! I wonder if a taxi might be an option, assuming that it would not be terribly expensive.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,211 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Honfleur and Rouen from Le Havre in One Day?

Another vote for Rouen.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Honfleur and Rouen from Le Havre in One Day?

From another thread I believe a taxi is around 60 euros each way.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Honfleur and Rouen from Le Havre in One Day?

I am also on a cruise in September and have done some research into transportation/visiting options. To try and do both Honfleur and Rouen is not very feasible in one day unless you have your own car; You might check into car rentals at the cruise center.

We have decided to spend the day in Rouen. The train to Rouen takes about an hour and has a regular schedule; cost is about 30 euros round trip per person.. The train station at Le Havre is a short taxi ride from the cruise center and in Rouen the train station is walking distance to most of the historic sites.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Honfleur and Rouen from Le Havre in One Day?

Thanks for the responses.

janeHarriet, I wonder if we are on the same cruise. We are in the Legend leaving September 1 - how about you? I will ask my husband about renting a car but I don't think he will be up for it. Driving in a country with a language barrier is intimidating!

7. Re: Visiting Honfleur and Rouen from Le Havre in One Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 05:18