We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental from CDG and drop off in Le Havre

Washington DC...
4 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental from CDG and drop off in Le Havre

My wife and I are planning an early July trip to from Washington, D.C. To France and England. We are wanting to rent a car from the Paris airport To explore northern France and the DDay beaches before taking the ferry from Le Havre to Portsmouth and then onto London. Our travel dates are as follows:

Thursday July 3 - arrive Paris airport CDG pick up rental car

July 3-5 - see Giverny, Honfleur, DDay Beaches, Bayeoux

Sunday July 6 - drop off car in Le Havre and take ferry to Portsmouth

The issue I'm having is trying to drop off the car on a Sunday in Le Havre since All the places are closed. Also, we are wanting to rent an automatic transmission since neither of us can drive stick shift. Reviewing the major car rental companies everything is manual...

Has anyone taken a similar trip and can offer advice on dropping off a car on a Sunday.

Thanks!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental from CDG and drop off in Le Havre

I think it is unwise to pick up a car at CDG after an all-night flight and drive to Normandy - unsafe for you and everyone else on the road.

As for a Sunday drop-off, find out if there's a drop box at the car rental outfit. If there is, leave the keys and insurance papers in it, notify the car rental place you're doing so, take extensive photos of the inside and outside of the car to document no damage, and keep your receipt for the final fuel fill-up.

No one can ever guarantee you an automatic, but if you pick up at an airport you have a greater chance of getting one.

Washington DC...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental from CDG and drop off in Le Havre

We had thought the same thing however it's only about a 45 minute drive to our hotel and last time we wen to Paris I slept right through the entire flight. However, we would be open to other transportation suggestions for getting to our hotel in Honfleur from CDG

Washington DC...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental from CDG and drop off in Le Havre

Correction - from CDG we'd drive to Giverny to see Monets house and have breakfast and then continue on to Honfleur. So all in that's about 2.5 hours drive...

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,529 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental from CDG and drop off in Le Havre

You´d better take another look at your map if you think Honfleur is only 45 minutes from CDG. I would allow not much less than 3 hours, far too long to drive after an all night transatlantic flight.

The real dilemma is that CDG or in Paris is one of the few locations you can reliability obtain a car with automatic transmission.

You might consider staying the first night near Giverny but your itinerary as planned is not practical.

Edited: 25 May 2014, 20:43
Washington DC...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental from CDG and drop off in Le Havre

Yes I realized I wrote the wrong time down for the trip from the airport. Curious though which part isn't practical ? The three hour drive or the overall days and sights. We crossed off bayoux from our list.

6. Re: Car Rental from CDG and drop off in Le Havre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Le Havre